Football adds former Idaho coach Robb Akey

akey
Idaho coach Robb Akey looks toward the scoreboard during the first half of an NCAA college football game against North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C., Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012. North Carolina won 66-0. (AP Photo/Gerry Broome)

Robb Akey is no stranger to Jim McElwain, and now he's joining him on Central Michigan's football staff for the 2019 season.

Akey worked as the defensive line coach at Florida in 2017 under McElwain, and is going to be the next defensive coordinator in Mount Pleasant – replacing Greg Colby.

Recruits visiting CMU and a member of the athletic department informed Central Michigan Life of the hiring.

The 52-year-old has coached in the NFL, making stops at Minnesota and Washington as a defensive line coach. His only defensive coordinator experience was with Northern Arizona from 1996-98 and Washington State from 2003-06.

Akey worked as the head coach of Idaho from 2007-12, compiling a 20-50 overall record. He did not coach in 2018.

McElwain also hired wide receivers coach Kevin Barbay, who worked at Colorado State (Director of Player Personnel) and Florida (Director of Player Development) with him. He was heavily involved with the team and one of the few coaches McElwain took with him from Colorado State to Florida.

Barbay was on Stephen F. Austin's staff in 2018.

McElwain is expected to keep offensive line coach Derek Frazier, tight ends coach Tavita Thompson and defensive backs coach Cory Hall from Bonamego's staff.

CMU's new coach is also working to bring in 12-year NFL veteran Daryl Tapp as the defensive line coach for the Chippewas. Tapp, who has a few job options, worked as the defensive quality control coach in 2018 for CMU.

Bonamego Update:

Former CMU coach John Bonamego worked with the University of Michigan football team as a consultant for the Peach Bowl. The Detroit News' Tony Paul reports Bonamego could stay on coach Jim Harbaugh's staff as an analyst, but his first preference is getting back into the NFL in a special teams role.