16th annual Central Michigan International Film Festival to take place Feb. 13-17

19293_logot

The Central Michigan International Film Festival will host its 16th annual film festival Wednesday, Feb. 13 to Sunday, Feb. 17, featuring a total of 24 feature films and five short film programs over the five days.

At the student-run festival, people will have the opportunity to watch short and feature-length films from all over the world.

Among the films that will be shown are Oscar nominees such as "The Favourite," "BlacKkKlansman" and "If Beale Street Could Talk."

Exhibitions will take place in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium in the Central Michigan University Charles V. Park Library as well as in The Platform in Moore Hall. Films will also be shown off-campus at the Mount Pleasant Celebration Cinema.

Several films made by CMU students, faculty and alumni will also be shown, including "My Soul to Keep," "Digging the Suez Canal with a Teaspoon" and "Breaking the Sound Barrier." 

CMIFF Festival Director and CMU School of Broadcast and Cinematic Arts faculty Patty Williamson thinks that the festival will give students a chance to experience more diverse cinema than they usually would.

“At CMIFF, you can go see a movie made in Kenya, or see a French film about a Congolese woman who works as a singer at a nightclub, or you can see a short film made in the Netherlands, or Israel, or Turkey, or Iran,” Williamson said. “We've really tried hard to program films at this year's festival that will give movie-goers a sense of the diverse films being made around the world, not just in Hollywood.”

Tickets for the festival are available online via Ticket Central and at the door for $5 per movie. Door purchases can be made by credit card only. There will also be several free short films available throughout the weekend.

For more information, visit cmfilmfest.com.