Presley Hudson named finalist for Lieberman Award

kjt-6506

Senior guard Presley Hudson raises her hands in the air during a game against Ohio on Feb. 9 at McGuirk Arena.

Presley Hudson has been named a finalist for the Nancy Lieberman Award, the best point guard in NCAA Division I women's basketball. 

The Wayland senior is one of 10 finalists across the country. She is the lone representative from the Mid-American Conference and the only mid-major player to be nominated. 

The award's criteria is floor leadership, playmaking and ball-handling skills. 

The Central Michigan senior guard averages 20.8 points per game on 45 percent shooting in 22 starts this season. She also averages a team-high 5.6 assists per game. 

Hudson became the all-time leading scorer in CMU basketball history against Ohio Feb. 9. She is also a finalist for the Senior Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School (CLASS) Award, which honors a student-athlete who uses their platform to make a positive impact in their community.

The other finalists are: Crystal Dangerfield, Connecticut; Kelly Campbell, DePaul; Natisha Hiedeman, Marquette; Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon; Destiny Slocum, Oregon State; Tyasha Harris, South Carolina; Tiana Mangakahia, Syracuse; Sug Sutton, Texas; Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M.

Five finalists will be named in March. Fans can vote for their favorite player at www.hoophallawards.com. The winner will be announced along with the Women's Basketball Association at the Women's Final Four in Tampa, Fla. Other awards, including the Wade Trophy for the best player in college basketball, will be awarded at the same time. 

Hudson has the Chippewas at 16-6, 7-3 MAC this season and will head to take on rival Western Michigan at 7 p.m. Feb. 13.