Frost, women's basketball dominates 104th meeting against Western Michigan

wbb-vs-buffalo13
Senior forward Reyna Frost looks to her opponent after being fouled on Feb. 2 in McGuirk Arena.

KALAMAZOO — Reyna Frost poured in 10 points in less than three minutes, giving the Central Michigan women's basketball team an early edge.

The Chippewas never looked back.

CMU (17-6, 8-3 Mid-American Conference) scored an 87-53 win over Western Michigan (8-13, 2-8 MAC) on Feb. 13 at Read Fieldhouse.

Frost's opening run for the Chippewas was the start of a dominant performance where she notched her 20th double-double of the season in the first half. 

The senior forward opened the contest with a pair of layups and a 3-pointer before WMU could even get on the board. 

"I was getting the ball in a lot of good places," Frost said. "People found me in good spots where I'm comfortable shooting and today the shots were going in." 

For the rest of the first quarter, CMU continued to dominate, pushing its lead to 30-15 after 10 minutes. Frost outscored the Broncos by herself as she tallied 16 points in the first frame. 

In the second quarter, the Broncos would not go away quietly. WMU brought its deficit down to 12 midway through the second period on a layup from Leighah-Amori Wool. 

The Chippewas led 52-33 at the break and Frost notched a double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds. But she wasn't done.

"Reyna established inside play for us," said CMU head coach Sue Guevara. "She ran the floor real well and she's doing what she always does when it comes to rebounding, she keeps a lot of balls alive and she's got a motor that just keeps motoring."

Frost and the Chippewas poured more gas into that motor in the second half. CMU widened its lead to 28 on a layup from the Reese native with 45 seconds to play in the third. It brought the score to 70-42 heading into the final quarter. 

Frost led the game with a career-high 33 points and secured 20 rebounds in her final trip to Read Fieldhouse.

She never got caught up in the hype of the rivalry.

"Our coach does a good job of making it just another game," Frost said. "That's how we play it, like they're just another basketball team and we have to go in, focus on ourselves and do what we can do."

Despite being held scoreless until the 3:59 mark of the second quarter, Presley Hudson scored 16 points and tacked on seven assists.

Micaela Kelly poured in on 17 points and four assists of her own. They were the three Chippewas who scored in double figures. 

Up next

The Chippewas hit the road on Feb. 16 to take on Buffalo for the second meeting of the season. CMU took the first matchup, 76-65, Feb. 2 in McGuirk Arena. Tip-off against the Bulls is set for 2 p.m. at Alumni Arena.