Linebacker Steven Spenner academically dismissed from CMU

fullsizerender
Central Michigan linebacker Steven Spenner was academically dismissed from the university following the fall semester. (Photo Credit: Facebook)

Linebacker Steven Spenner took a grayshirt in 2017 and played as a redshirt freshman in the 2018 season for former coach John Bonamego.

Now, Spenner is no longer with the program. He was academically dismissed from Central Michigan University following the recent fall semester.

"(I) was academically dismissed," Spenner told Central Michigan Life.

If Spenner was still at CMU, he'd be a redshirt sophomore for the 2019 campaign under coach Jim McElwain.

Spenner said he is currently at an NJCAA program until his grades are high enough to transfer back to the Division I level.

A product of Berrien Springs High School, the 6-foot-2, 217-pound linebacker was named Division 5-6 All-State during his 2016 senior season by the Detroit Free Press and Detroit News. He was also earned Associated Press Division 5-6 First Team All-State honors.

Throughout his high school career, Spenner registered 401 tackles, 53 tackles for a loss, eight fumble recoveries, eight sacks, four interceptions and two blocked kicks. He helps push Berrien Springs to three-straight playoff appearances.

Spenner was a two-star prospect in the 2017 class, ranked No. 2,253 in the nation, No. 100 at inside linebacker and No. 54 in Michigan, per the 247Sports Composite. His only scholarship offers were to CMU and Western Michigan.

Spenner is the second-known CMU football player to recently be academically dismissed. The other is defensive end Deron Irving-Bey, who came to the Chippewas on Aug. 21, 2018, from the University of Michigan as a transfer.

A CMU spokesperson added that two freshmen walk-on players, running back Jaier Harden and wide receiver Keith Jefferson, will not return to the football program. Harden and Jefferson's departures are unrelated to academics.