Chippewa Watershed Conservancy to host "Signs of Winter Animal Activity" nature hike

Public invited to guided exploration of Hall's Lake Natural Area preserve Feb. 9

feb9

Participants of the Chippewa Watershed Conservancy's 2018 "Signs of Winter Animal Activity" hike look for animal tracks in the snow at the Hall's Lake Natural Area preserve. (Courtesy Photo)

Have you ever been curious about the animal tracks you see at your favorite park or in your own backyard?

The Chippewa Watershed Conservancy will host a "Signs of Winter Animal Activity" hike from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Feb. 9 at the Hall's Lake Natural Area preserve, which will allow participants to identify wildlife tracks and other signs of wildlife activity.

The two-hour hike will be led by CWC board member and Isabella Conservation District education coordinator Mike LeValley.

"It is a great opportunity to connect to the natural environment near Mt. Pleasant," said CWC executive director Jon Breithaupt. "There is much to offer in central Michigan outside of the university community. Many students do not connect to the environment around them."

Breithaupt said the event is targeted towards people who enjoy exploring the outdoors in scenic recreation areas.

The event is free and open to the public. 

The address for Hall's Lake Natural Area is listed at 11000 S. Old State Road, Remus, MI. For more information about the trails and local outdoor opportunities, students can visit www.cwc-mi.org/preserves.

They can also visit www.cwc-mi.org/events to learn about upcoming free environmental education programs and volunteer service opportunities."