Elizabeth Lockwood Wheeler lecture series to bring community trauma keynote speaker

screen-shot-2019-03-11-at-10-27-46-am

The 27th Elizabeth Lockwood Wheeler Lecture Series will invite Ruben Cantu, program manager for community trauma, mental health and violence prevention from California, to share personal experiences about working in the field of community trauma.

The event, "Adverse Community Experiences and Resilience: A Framework for Addressing and Preventing Community Trauma" will take place at 7 p.m. March 18 in The Dow Chemical Company Foundation Auditorium in the College of Medicine building.

Cantu has more than 20 years of nonprofit experience in public health, equity, program and organizational management, and technical assistance and capacity building. As the program director at the California Pan-Ethnic Health Network, he has managed development, outreach and communications initiatives for the constituents of the state’s largest multicultural health policy organization.

The community health model Cantu is presenting was introduced at last year’s annual Society for Public Health Education conference.

The lecture series was created to bring professional development to students on campus. There will be an opportunity for students and faculty to ask questions after the 50-minute lecture.

“I am most excited to continue Dr. Wheeler’s legacy and passion for student learning,” said School of Health Sciences faculty member Jodi Fisher. “The fact that we can bring a national speaker in every year for student professional development due to her generosity is exciting.”

The event will address adverse community experiences and resilience, and how communities can collaborate to address trauma.