New cornerbacks coach David Rowe on one-year deal with Chippewas

img-6296-2
Central Michigan cornerbacks coach David Rowe watches 2019 Pro Day on March 14 in Turf Bay at the Indoor Athletic Complex.

Just like the other nine assistant coaches on Jim McElwain's staff, new cornerbacks coach David Rowe is on a one-year deal.

Rowe officially replaced former defensive backs coach Cory Hall on March 13, and he is set to make $82,500 in his first season with the Central Michigan football team.

Joining the Chippewas isn't the first time Rowe has coached in Michigan, as he was a graduate assistant working directly with cornerbacks at Western Michigan in 2014.

Rowe assumed the position as the defensive coordinator at Rockledge High School in Florida, following his time with the Broncos, before accepting a job as the defensive backs coach at Valdosta State in 2017.

In 2017, the Blazers finished 5-4 overall. However, one year later, Valdosta State won a Division II national championship over Ferris State, 49-47.

Back in his playing career, from 2008-11, Rowe was a three-year starting defensive back for Rutgers. Following his graduation in 2012, he worked with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2013.

McElwain has not spoken to the media since his hiring on Dec. 2, but he mentioned the addition of Rowe in a CMU Athletics press release.

"Excited to have David join our staff, he brings a ton of energy and knowledge," McElwain said. "David is an excellent teacher and the type of person we want to be a part of our program. Coming off a national championship at Valdosta State, he knows what it takes to build a championship-caliber team."

During four years, three as a starter, for the Scarlet Knights, Rowe made 156 tackles, 8.5 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks, five interceptions, five passes defended, three fumble recoveries and one interception returned for a touchdown.

Defensive coordinator Robb Akey and offensive coordinator Charlie Frye will both make $125,000 on their base salaries.