CMUPD officers arrest repeat offender after multiple complaints

Central Michigan University police cars parked outside the CMU police station on September 12, 2018.

The week before spring break, the Central Michigan University Police Department responded to three different reports of the same disorderly 21-year-old male.

At 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 26, CMUPD officers were dispatched to Trout Hall after a report of a disorderly person was called in by Trout Hall staff. 

The complaint stated that someone was screaming and yelling in a room in the hall. Officers made contact with a handful of intoxicated individuals including a 21-year-old male who didn’t live at the hall. The non-resident was told to leave the building. Those in the room were aged 18, 22 and 20. 

Those who were underage were cited for underage drinking. 

Shortly after the Trout Hall incident, Isabella County police received a call of a male at West Campus Apartments, located across the train tracks. 

“He was screaming and hitting vehicles with his fists,” said Lt. Cameron Wassman. “Reports said that the male’s description was similar to the 21-year-old from earlier. Turns out it was the same male. He was arrested and taken to Isabella County Jail for disorderly conduct.”

The male was issued a no-trespass letter on campus by the CMU Office of Student Affairs. 

At 3:30 a.m. on the same day, officers were again dispatched to Trout Hall to the same room for medical purposes. The 20-year-old male that was present during the first call continued to drink after officers had left and managed to cut his ankle on a broken mirror. He was transported to McLaren Central Michigan hospital to be treated for the cut and for his level of intoxication. 

Around midnight on Feb. 27, officers were dispatched to the Marriott hotel next to the football field for a report of disorderly conduct in the lobby. 

The 21-year-old who officers had made contact with the day before was the source of the complaint. 

Pictures that were taken from the scene show that he broke bathroom and wall fixtures in his hotel room and broke up the closet doors. Damage costs were approximately $1,000. 

“He wanted nothing to do with us and tried to walk away from the officers on scene,” Wassman said. “We then made contact with him near the Target across the street from the Marriott where he soon gave up and he was arrested before trying to fight with us again.”

Right before the arrest was made, the 7/11 on Mission Street filed a complaint against the 21-year-old male who was acting disorderly in the store.

He was transported to Isabella County Jail and was charged with malicious destruction of a building between $1,000 and $20,000, two counts of resisting or obstructing officers, one count of a disorderly person and one count of trespassing. 

Aside from the repeat offender, CMUPD officers responded to a variety of other calls leading up to spring break. 

• At 5:30 p.m. on Feb. 25, officers received a complaint from a 19-year-old female who claimed to have had $100 stolen from her car. She assumed that her roommate stole the money. The next day the 18-year-old suspect confessed before officers approached her and the victim decided not to press charges but requested that the incident be turned over to the office of student conduct.
  • At 3:45 p.m. on Feb. 26, officers were dispatched to a small two-car accident in Lot 33. One of the drivers, a 17-year-old male, didn’t have a driver’s license and was given a citation. 
  • At 9 a.m. on Feb. 28, officers received reports of a Trout Hall resident posting about selling marijuana on social media. Once the officers made contact with the individual, he admitted to making the posts but said that he had no marijuana in the apartment. A search of the apartment confirmed what he said and the case was dropped.