Hendricks-Rose re-elected as SGA president, vice president

elections-but-extra-17

Traverse City junior Jake Hendricks and Nashville sophomore stand in the Bovee University Center Auditorium on March 18, 2018.

After a week of voting, incumbents Jake Hendricks and Lyndi Rose have been re-elected to serve as the Student Government Association president and vice president for the 2019-20 academic year.

Hendricks said he and Rose are “humbled and excited” to continue serving in office for SGA.

"We are excited to get to work, focusing on the issues of academic success, community engagement, civic awareness and diversity, equity and inclusion," Hendricks said.

As promised in their campaign, Hendricks and Rose plan on continuing the tampon initiative, hosting the Golden Gala, generating awareness for Title IX and increasing the campus program fund.

"I feel honored to be able to serve in office again in my last year at CMU," Rose said. "I plan on expanding or continuing current projects, as well as bringing other ideas to fruition."

Freshman Gabe Butzke and sophomore Lauryn Gibas congratulated Hendricks and Rose on their Facebook page last night, thanking their supporters.

"No matter what, we’re still going to do whatever we can to help the student body and we’re committed to making campus a better place," the post read.

Hendricks and Rose also commended Butzke and Gibas for their campaign and the conversations they were able to have. 

"I think it was great to see that Gabe and Lauryn brought a platform with relevant student issues, and we were able to have a good discussion during the debate," Hendricks said. "It was an honor and a privilege to campaign alongside two candidates who helped to generate discussion on what students want to see change on campus."

Since this is their second campaign in SGA, Hendricks and Rose feel prepared to take on another academic year as president and vice president. 

"I was more confident in our experience, platform and campaign this year compared to last year’s, which made the victory more meaningful," Rose said. "(The victory) just validated the reason why I ran for office in the first place, all of the work we did this year and it is reassuring to know that people support us and have confidence in our ability to represent them for another year."