Spring commencement ceremonies keynote speakers announced

commencement-may

Graduates hold their diplomas on May 6 in McGuirk Arena. 

Five leaders in their professions have been invited to address Central Michigan University graduates at the spring commencement ceremonies. 

The following speakers will address the ceremonies, which will take place May 3-5:

• Raymond Cross, president of the University of Wisconsin System
  • Subir Chowdhury, chairman and CEO of ASI Consulting Group LLC
  • Sarah Rowley Opperman, retired vice president of global government affairs and public policy at The Dow Chemical Company
  • Joseph Mancewicz, senior software engineer at NVIDIA
  • Darrell Kirch, president and CEO of the American Association of Medical Colleges

The ceremonies will take place in Warriner Hall's Plachta Auditorium and McGuirk Arena in the John G. Kulhavi Events Center.

University of Wisconsin System President Raymond Cross will speak on May 3 at the 4 p.m. ceremony. After getting his master's degree in industrial education from CMU, Cross worked at various universities, including Ferris State University and the University of Wisconsin Colleges.

Chairman and CEO of ASI Consulting Group LLC Subir Chowdhury will speak on May 4 during the 9 a.m. ceremony. Chowdhury, who has a graduate degree in industrial management from CMU, has written 15 books, with his most recent qualifying as a USA Today bestseller and a national bestseller in India.

Sarah Rowley Opperman, retired vice president of global government affairs and public policy at The Dow Chemical Company, will speak on May 4 at the 1:30 p.m. ceremony. Opperman earned her bachelor's degree in journalism and business from CMU. Her name may be familiar to students, as the Charles V. Park Library’s ​​ Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium carries her and her husband’s names after their $1 million donation to the university.

Senior software engineer in NVIDIA's Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence group Joseph Mancewicz will speak on May 4 during the 6 p.m. commencement. After earning his bachelor's degree in physics from CMU, Mancewicz worked for Rhythm and Hues Studio on multiple productions, including “The Golden Compass” and “The Life of Pi.” Both of those productions won the Academy Award for Best Achievement in Visual Effects.

President and CEO of the American Association of Medical Colleges Darrell Kirch will speak on May 5 during the 1p.m. ceremony. Prior to his current position, Kirch worked at the Medical College of Georgia and the Penn State College of Medicine.

Students with questions about commencement can contact the Ceremonies and Events Coordinator at commencement@cmich.edu or (989) 774-7392.