Xavier Crawford's blazing speed at Pro Day complements mental strength

img-6277-2
Central Michigan cornerback Xavier Crawford participates in 2019 Pro Day on March 14 at Turf Bay in the Indoor Athletic Complex at CMU.

Knees bent, right hand poised in the turf and left elbow pointed skyward, Xavier Crawford gathered himself for his first 40-yard dash attempt.

After turning his head toward the ground and taking a deep breath in, Crawford exploded from his three-point stance. With his head still down and body leaning forward, he took six short steps in quick succession, building speed with every footfall.

Crawford’s posture became more upright and his strides gradually lengthened until he reached top speed. His legs churned furiously and his arms pumped efficiently at his sides. 

As the Central Michigan cornerback crossed the finish line, the quiet chirp of stopwatches punctuated the end of the sprint. 

The crowd of pro scouts looked down at their watches. A murmur of conversation broke out amongst several of the assembled scouts, and a man garbed in an aqua green Miami Dolphins pullover nodded his head in reserved approval as he charted Crawford's 40-yard dash time.

It was a mere 4.30 seconds.

At the NFL Scouting Combine in Lucas Oil Stadium on March 4, Crawford ran the 40-yard dash at 4.48 seconds. Though the scouts’ reactions at CMU's Pro Day were rather muted, they spoke volumes: Crawford had impressed the group immensely by shaving nearly two-tenths of a second off his time.

Crawford attributed his improved time to the more comfortable environment of CMU’s Indoor Athletic Complex.

"The combine got to me mentally, especially when I got to the drills," Crawford said. "Today, it was more relaxing coming in."

The projected late-round draft pick also performed well in the defensive back position drills that followed the 40-yard dash. His footwork was clean and he showcased a nice burst when making sharp cuts.

Since declaring for the draft on Dec. 3, 2018, Crawford has been preparing for the NFL Draft by training in Calabasas, Calif. Over the course of the past three months, the 5-foot-11, 187-pound defensive back has bettered his strength and speed.

That being said, Crawford is quick to point out that it takes more than physical tools to make it as a professional football player.

“At the next level, everybody is going to be fast, strong, big,” Crawford said. “You gotta have an edge somewhere else.”

According to Crawford, that extra edge is his mental strength, a trait which has come in handy before.

Crawford began his collegiate career at Oregon State, where he started as a redshirt freshman for the 2016 season. 

The Beavers went a disappointing 4-8 that year, but the young defensive back was a bright spot on the season. Amassing 70 tackles and 10 passes broken up at the cornerback position, Crawford was named to the USA Today Freshman All-American team. 

“In my time at Oregon State, we weren’t the most successful on the football field, but it shows you that you gotta work for everything,” Crawford said. “Nothing is given to you.”

To start the 2017 season, Crawford tallied seven tackles in the season opener at Colorado State. It looked to be another standout year for the redshirt sophomore, but following the fifth game of the season, he was sidelined with a shoulder injury that required surgery. 

It was the last game Crawford would play for the Beavers.

Crawford graduated from Oregon State in June 2017, whereupon he entered the transfer portal. Ultimately, he followed his defensive backs coach, Cory Hall, to CMU and became immediately eligible.

“After I graduated, I felt I needed a change, a different scenery,” Crawford said. “Coach Hall came [here], and I knew if I had the opportunity to play for him again, I would.”

Junior defensive back Xavier Crawford follows up on a MSU long throw on Sept. 29 at Spartan Stadium.

Fully healed by the time the 2018 season arrived, Crawford immediately made his presence known for the Chippewas, dragging his toes to secure an end zone interception in the season opener against Kentucky.

Crawford started 11 games for Hall and the Chippewas. Yet again, he found a way to shine on an underperforming team as CMU ended the year with a 1-11 record. 

In his time donning the maroon and gold, Crawford tallied 24 tackles -- 18 of them solo -- and led the team with 12 pass breakups. For his efforts, the cornerback was selected to the All-Mid-American Conference First Team defense.

Following the 2018 season, Crawford evaluated his options and elected to forgo his senior season to declare for the NFL Draft. 

Crawford’s blazing 40-yard dash time and agile footwork were what piqued the interest of the 50 pro scouts in attendance for Pro Day. His physical performance at the NFL Scouting Combine and CMU’s Pro Day will likely be what gets his named called on Day 3 of the draft. 

Getting to the NFL is one thing. Staying in the NFL is another.

Crawford thinks he has what it takes to stay.

“I’m more of a mental type of player,” Crawford said. “I’m going to come in and work, do my job, and get better.”

All he wants is a chance to prove he’s capable. From there, his will to shine can do the rest.

“I only need one team,” Crawford said. “My one opportunity.”