True freshman RB Lew Nichols emerges, will 'obviously' get snaps in 2019 season

img-6112-2
Central Michigan running back Lew Nichols poses for a picture at Cass Technical High School after signing his letter of intent to play for the Chippewas on Dec. 18, 2018.

Lew Nichols carried the ball 84 times for 1,078 yards and 23 touchdowns in the 2018 season as a senior for Cass Technical High School.

He earned all-state honors from the Detroit Free Press, Detroit News and Associated Press during that campaign.

Also notable, Nichols turned down offers from Power 5 schools like Kentucky, Missouri, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Indiana, Minnesota and Purdue.

Even when John Bonamego was fired as CMU's coach in late November, he held true to his commitment with Central Michigan and joined as an early enrollee under new coach Jim McElwain a month later.

"I didn't want to leave a secure spot, plus I love Central," Nichols told Central Michigan Life in mid-December.

Remaining with the Chippewas is now beginning to pay off for Nichols. As a true freshman early enrollee, he's making a name for himself in the running backs room.

"Lew's had a great spring so far," McElwain said. "We'll obviously see how he does throughout fall camp, and we will get those position groups settled at that time."

Seniors Jonathan Ward and Romeo Ross, junior Kumehnnu Gwilly and sophomore Kobe Lewis are the top returning backs on the roster.

However, Nichols is creeping up and closing the gap as a youngster.

"When you look at the depth in that room, I think he will be a guy that will obviously be able to take some snaps," McElwain said.

The 5-foot-10, 220-pound running back was a three-star prospect out of high school, ranked No. 1,120 in the nation, No. 74 at his position and No. 28 in Michigan, according to the 247Sports Composite.

Nichols committed to CMU on July 30, signed on Dec. 19 and began taking classes on Jan. 7. He's had access to the facilities, the chance to get to know players on the roster and the ability to learn the playbook.

An immediate jump into the rotation isn't far-fetched for Nichols, but it'll be interesting to see exactly which role he fills.

Belleville High School sophomore safety Myles Rowser (left) takes a picture with Central Michigan running back Lew Nichols (right) on April 7 in the Indoor Athletic Complex. (Photo Credit: Myles Rowser / Twitter)

Belleville High School sophomore safety Myles Rowser was at CMU for a visit on April 7. During the trip, he had to a chance to catch up with Nichols, a longtime friend.

Rowser said Nichols has put on a lot of muscle since departing from high school.

"That's my guy," Rowser said. "He likes it up there, and they are treating him right. I watched him at practice; he's a straight beast out there."

Even though Rowser hasn't seen every team in the Mid-American Conference, he said Nichols could "definitely" see playing time right away.

"He's always had speed and power," Rowser added.

Michigan, Penn State, Central Michigan and Western Michigan have offered Rowser. He plans to join the school of his choice as an early enrollee because of Nichols' journey.

Along with Nichols, Rowser is close to two former Belleville players that now reside on CMU's roster – sophomore safety Devonni Reed and sophomore linebacker George Douglass.

"I consider any school that offers me," Rowser said. "Not trying to be just a number anywhere. It's got to be the right fit on all sides."

Regardless of where Nichols ends up on the depth chart entering the 2019 season, McElwain believes his future is bright as a key player that can move the chains.