Mount Pleasant to 'kick-off' new master plan at April 8 event

imr-1434
City commissioners discusses their submissions of requests for Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe allocations Mount Pleasant City Commission Meeting March 25 at City Hall.

Mount Pleasant is preparing a new master plan that will chart the direction of the city’s development for the next 30 years. 

The city's "Kick-Off Event" will take place at 5:30 p.m. April 8 at Mount Pleasant City Hall, 320 W. Broadway St.

According to a press release, the city intends to use the plan to answer the following questions: 

• What do we want our community to look like in 2050?  
  • How do we get there?  
  • How can we ensure our community is resilient by avoiding or mitigating risks or threats that we may face? 

“Mount PLeasANt 2050” will include an updated Parks and Recreation Master Plan and a subarea plan focused on Mission Street and Pickard Avenue. According to a press release, the plan will specifically address land use, transportation, housing, downtown, economic development and public safety. 

For students without long-term plans to stay in the area after graduating, City Planner Jacob Kain said “Mount PLeasANt 2050” will still have definite impacts within the next four years and on future CMU students. 

“Even if (the plan) does not affect current students, it will impact future generations of students residing in Mount Pleasant,” Kain said. 

The city has scheduled a series of events that a professional consultant will be present from April 8 to April 11. Kain said the goal of these workshops and charrettes is to provide an opportunity for the public to provide important insight about the city and its plans. 

“Public input is imperative during this planning process and will determine the community’s vision as well as help set specific goals, objectives and policies,” the press release read. 

Kain also wants CMU students to be an integral part of the process for future change and development. 

Events can be found on the “Mount PLeasANt 2050” website and include: 

April 8  

5:30 – 7:30 p.m. Kick-Off Event at Mount Pleasant City Hall, 320 W. Broadway St. 

April 9  

5:00 – 7:00 p.m. Open Charrette Studio Hours at Mount Pleasant City Hall, 320 W. Broadway St. 

7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Downtown Pub Crawl at the Bird Bar & Grill, 223 S. Main St. 

April 10  

1:00 – 5:00 p.m. Open Charrette Studio Hours at Mount Pleasant City Hall, 320 W. Broadway St. 

5:00 – 7:00 p.m. Charrette Open House and Work-In-Progress Presentation at Mount Pleasant City Hall, 320 W. Broadway St. 

April 11  

1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Open Charrette Studio Hours at Mount Pleasant City Hall, 320 W. Broadway St. 

7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Charrette Final Presentation Event at Mount Pleasant City Hall, 320 W. Broadway St.