CMU's Bunting accomplishes lifelong dream, ready to 'win a championship' with Buccaneers

Tampa Bay Buccanneers cornerback Sean Bunting poses for a picture after being selected No. 39 overall in the 2019 NFL Draft on April 26 at his home in Clinton Township, Michigan.

Sean Bunting might not be underrated anymore.

With zero Division I offers on 2015 National Signing Day, no stars from recruiting websites and only a grayshirt offer to his name, the youthful cornerback enrolled five months late at Central Michigan in January 2016.

Three years later, he left school early to declare for the 2019 NFL Draft.

At each stage of his career, Bunting was told he couldn't do it. No matter what it was, there were naysayers. But on April 26, inside his Clinton Township home, the night belonged to him.

Walking out of the room only minutes earlier to take an important phone call, Bunting returned to his basement. With his back pressed against the couch, he watched the Tampa Bay Buccaneers make a selection only he knew would be him.

Former Buccaneers quarterback Trent Dilfer took the stage and said, "With the 39th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select – Sean Bunting, DB, Central Michigan."

The family and friends surrounding Bunting in the basement erupted with cheers.

While Bunting had his night to celebrate, he realizes there's much to come. Being drafted No. 39 overall, there's an expectation to succeed and make an immediate impact.

"I'm just grateful to be able to say a dream of mine has been accomplished, but not all of them," Bunting said. "We still have a lot of work to do.

"I'm very honored and grateful to the Bucs organization. I'm just ready to win a championship, ready to join a culture like them. I'm just excited, man."

Bunting went down to Tampa Bay before the draft for an official top-30 visit. During the trip, he went over his scheduled time talking with cornerbacks coach Kevin Ross.

"I was probably with him for an hour and a half, and we were only supposed to meet for 45 minutes," Bunting said. "We just talked football and life. I know he has the best interest for me. He made that evident and clear there, so I'm just excited to play for him, play for head coach Bruce Arians and just win."

Once Bunting decided to leave school, he quickly became an underrated draft prospect. After a strong showing at the NFL Scouting Combine, his stock increased. Then, following individual team workouts and interviews, he moved up the draft boards even more. 

For what felt like the hundredth time, Bunting went from unknown to known.

"It's an emotional rollercoaster if you buy into what people say, but I don't," Bunting said. "I know my abilities, what I can do and what kind of value I can provide for my team. I'll always work hard and be the best I can." 

The 6-foot, 195-pound CMU product finished out his career in Mount Pleasant with 104 tackles, 3.5 tackles for a loss, nine interceptions, 15 passes defended, one fumble recovery and four forced fumbles in three seasons.

Now he joins the likes of third-year Vernon Hargreaves and second-year Carlton Davis – the two players currently presumed to be the starting cornerbacks for the Buccaneers.

Bunting is expected to fit nicely into Tampa Bay's new 3-4 defensive scheme as a physical cover cornerback.

"Y'all are going to get everything I've got," he said, expressing himself to Buccaneers coaches, players and fans. "That's 110 percent. I'm gonna go out and work my ass off. Winning is the number one thing."

Even though Bunting said he understands the need to pay his dues as a rookie, he wants the veterans on the team to acknowledge his ability as a defensive back. 

"If y'all want some doughnuts, I can get you some doughnuts, some Starbucks. I don't know what y'all want in Tampa," Bunting said. "I want those guys to know I'm going to compete. I'm not an excuse guy.

"I want to tell them one thing – I don't know who in that room has the best (defensive back) hands, but when I come in there, I do. I'm going to prove that. I'm ready to join that brotherhood."

Speaking directly to his time as a CMU football player, Bunting thanked former coach John Bonamego, cornerback Xavier Crawford, safety Da'Quaun Jamison, running back Jonathan Ward, and defensive lineman Leon Page for providing support and encouragement as a Chippewa.

"They've always been in my corner and on my side," Bunting said. "They've always wanted the best out of me. It's bittersweet knowing how much support I have."

Bunting reports to Tampa Bay's rookie minicamp on May 9 to begin his first season in the NFL.