'CMU was always there': Massive walk-on OT Jacob Dean joins football team as late addition to 2019 class

jacob-dean-11-9-18
Walled Lake Western offensive tackle Jacob Dean runs down the field for the Warriors against Midland High on Nov. 9 in an MHSAA playoff game.

Jacob Dean stands at 6 feet 9 inches, weighs in at 295 pounds and is coming to Mount Pleasant.

The Walled Lake Western High School offensive tackle announced his commitment on May 20 to join the Central Michigan football team as a late addition to the 2019 class.

"It's really comforting to find a spot where I can trust people and know people will look out for me," Dean said. "It's a great feeling."

Dean was originally slated to attend Division II Lawrence Tech, as he announced that commitment back on Dec. 15. However, miscommunication by the financial administration that lowered his scholarship turned him away from the Blue Devils in early May.

Then, the Chippewas, led by first-year coach Jim McElwain, came swooping in.

"It opened my eyes to different opportunities," Dean said of the situation at Lawrence Tech. "CMU was always there. I decided that was where I wanted to go."

During the winter months, CMU coach Jim McElwain and tight ends coach Tavita Thompson went to Walled Lake Western to check in on kicker/punter Aiden Jennings, a preferred walk-on pledge. They both spoke with Dean, reminding him the Chippewas were always an option.

"You always have a spot here," McElwain said, as Dean recalls.

Once Lawrence Tech fell through, Dean decided to take a visit to CMU on May 9. He met exclusively with McElwain, offensive line coach Mike Cummings and Director of Player Personnel Albert Karschnia.

McElwain told Dean about the opportunities and benefits of joining the program.

"He said that as long as I do what I'm supposed to do, he thinks I can be a great, great player with my size," Dean said. "He kept saying, 'You can't teach size.' I'm just going to follow what they want me to do."

Even though McElwain said it's impossible to teach a player to be tall and wide, Cummings told Dean he will be able to give him all the tools to succeed, regardless of his height and weight. It also helps that his footwork and technique are impressive for a 6-foot-9 athlete.

Dean added that Cummings' words were reinforced by his ability to put big offensive linemen in the NFL, much like Eric Fisher and Joe Stanley.

Fisher, a 2012 First Team All-American for the Chippewas, was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2018. 

"I feel very comfortable," Dean said of his relationship with Cummings. "He could bring me to that level. I'll do everything he tells me to do. Hopefully, things work out like Eric Fisher."

Dean had preferred walk-on offers from a few FBS schools, but he never received one from CMU, until recently. When the early signing period was near back in December, there weren't any Division I scholarships left on the table, so Dean took what he could with Lawrence Tech to save as much money as possible.

"They just came out of nowhere and offered me money, so I decided to take it over nothing," Dean said. "I was so uncertain."

The only other school that reached out with a walk-on offer after his deal with Lawrence Tech fell through was Toledo. However, Dean said he felt "more of a connection" with McElwain's staff.

CMU had been involved in Dean's recruitment from his freshman year of high school but never offered – not until a few days ago.

He was a two-star prospect out of high school, ranked No. 3,860 in the nation, No. 237 at his position and No. 98 in Michigan, per the 247Sports Composite.

When asked if he feels overlooked, Dean said in a low, quiet voice, "Yeah." He said a lot of that stems from the fact that he was forced to play center rather than tackle just a week before the 2018 season.

However, Dean will play offensive tackle for the Chippewas.

"We didn't really have a center that could snap the ball consistently," Dean said. "My coach stuck me there the whole season, so that hurt my recruitment a little bit."

Now that he will be back to his normal position, it's Dean's time to prove himself, earn playing time and maybe even get on scholarship.

"I'm going to take every rep I can, get ahead of everyone, work before and after practice," Dean said. "I just have to outwork people. I'm trying to prove myself, just like everyone else."

Right now, Dean is working to secure a dorm room with Jennings, his best friend, high school teammate and college teammate. The kicker/punter picked up a walk-on offer on Nov. 10, committed on Nov. 16 and signed Dec. 19.

"He's excited," Dean said of Jennings. "We are best friends."