Lt. Larry Klaus hired as next CMU police chief

Klaus will take over after Chief Yeagley retires on July 31

larry-klaus
Lt. Larry Klaus at the annual Shop with a Cop event in 2016.

After eight years at the Central Michigan University Police Department, Lt. Larry Klaus will serve as the next chief of police.

Barrie Wilkes, vice president for finance and administrative services, appointed Klaus to the position May 21. Wilkes said  Klaus stood out because he is a respected member of the CMUPD and he was an effective leader during events such as the residence hall shooting on March 2, 2018.

The search for the university's next police chief began after Chief Bill Yeagley announced his retirement in February. Yeagley's last day is July 31.

After 25 years of service for the Lansing Police Department, Klaus joined the CMU Police Department in 2011. 

He is involved with several groups on campus including the President's Title IX Advisory Board, the CMU Care Team, the Threat Assessment Group and the Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity's sexual assault response team.

At a candidate forum on May 1, Klaus said his wife and both of his children are CMU alumni, so he takes his job very seriously. Klaus said he views himself as a guardian for the campus community.

During the forum, Klaus said mental health is a big issue on college campuses, and adding resources for students will improve campus security. 

“I’m looking at some ongoing crisis intervention training for our officers to help them figure out what is the best way to approach a situation,” Klaus said at the forum. “It’s all about training, connecting people to resources and forming a mental health task force within the region.”

Klaus previously served on the Isabella County Community Mental Health task force and is currently a member of the Isabella County Mental Health Court Committee.

He does not plan to make any major changes to police protocol. He said Yeagley already laid the groundwork for a safe campus, so Klaus doesn't anticipate more than a few tweaks to the department's investigative process.

“I feel passionate about what I do — this is my calling,” Klaus said. “I’d like the opportunity to lead the CMU police. I want to further professionally develop our staff and continue to keep the campus safe.”