Senior linebacker Michael Oliver savors every moment leading into final season

Central Michigan linebacker Michael Oliver listens to instructions from linebackers coach Mark DeBastiani at practice Aug. 7 at the Bennett Track Field.

For the majority of his college career, linebacker Michael Oliver looked up to Malik Fountain, Alex Briones and Trevor Apsey – three seasoned players in his position room.

Oliver was following in their footsteps, much like a sheep follows the herd. But now, it's his turn.

The senior enters the 2019 season as the anchor of the linebackers room and maybe even the entire defense. 

It's also Oliver's last first time for everything.

"I’m taking it in and just enjoying it," Oliver said after Monday's practice. 

Just because Oliver, a veteran, has seen everything from the triumphs making a bowl game to winning just one game doesn't mean he's done learning.

After picking up tips from Greg Colby and Mike Dietzel for his first three seasons, he's now learning from the likes of defensive coordinator Robb Akey and linebackers coach Mark DeBastiani. 

Taking all those coaches into account, that's likely plenty of advice in Oliver's toolbox.

"I’m still learning," Oliver said. "You always have to keep critiquing and pushing through certain things because you’re never perfect."

The linebackers consist of seniors Oliver and Christian Mercer, junior Troy Hairston, sophomores Troy Brown, George Douglass, Chuck Jones, Andrew Ward and Nick Masztak, redshirt freshman Nick Apsey and freshmen Logan Guthrie, Cory Gildersleeve Jr., Braedon Childress and Justin Whiteside.

With Oliver locked down for one of the three starting spots, 12 players are fighting for the other two.

Oliver named Brown when asked about linebackers that are impressing him, and he also said Ward would be a "great player" for the Chippewas.

But there's still a lot of unknowns and improvements to be made.

“Communication, execution and trying to become a perfectionist," Oliver said. "Everyone on the defensive side, we are just going to keep competing and getting better."

At 6-feet, 235 pounds, Oliver started six of the 11 games he played in 2018, filling in for Fountain, Briones and Apsey when needed. He made 31 tackles and two tackles for a loss.

Being that Oliver is one of two seniors at linebacker, most would expect him to boast a leadership role. However, it's the opposite.

He wants everyone in the room to lead by example.

"We all have to be leaders and take some type of role to make sure the ship keeps going," Oliver said.

First-year coach Jim McElwain has brought everyone together, including the linebackers, with two key points.

“Business and family," Oliver said of McElwain's coaching style. "Family first, business second.

"We are our brothers’ keeper.”