Preview: Football opens season, new era against Albany

When Jim McElwain was introduced as coach of the Central Michigan football team on Dec. 2, he said that he was excited to see who wanted to be Chippewas. 

Now, those who decided to stick with the team will get their opportunity to play against someone in a different uniform for the first time in nine months.

The Chippewas open the 2019 season against Albany Aug. 29 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium to begin the McElwain era. 

Last season was one to forget for both teams. The Great Danes finished 3-9 and were knocked around by Maine, the Chippewas' only victory last season. 

Albany also finished with a 1-7 record in the Colonial Athletic Association, one conference win better than CMU last season.

CMU's opposition was ranked 97th in total offense in the Football Championship Subdivision last year out of 124 teams. 

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jeff Undercuffler is tabbed to make his fourth career start after starting three of his four appearances last season as a true freshman. He went 42-of-88, throwing for 526 yards, four touchdowns and five interceptions. 

McElwain said that preventing Undercuffler from spreading the ball is imperative. He also said that containing wide receiver Donovan McDonald, a former sprinter on the Nebraska track team, is going to be the point of emphasis on the defensive side of the ball. 

"(McDonald) can really run and we worry about his speed," McElwain said. "(Undercuffler) had four really good games, so I don't look at him as if he's a 'new starter.'"

The Great Danes' strength on defense comes from their linebackers and safeties, so McElwain said the plan is to attack those strengths and exploit the weaknesses throughout the rest of the defense.

"It's the opening game," McElwain said. "That's what makes it fun." 

Albany is receiving $400,000 from CMU for its trip to Mount Pleasant, a payout since the Great Danes are an FCS opponent. 

As for the Chippewas, the biggest aspect heading into the opening game is the fact that they're relatively healthy. 

There have been a couple of players - namely redshirt freshman quarterback George Pearson - who have undergone surgery and hope to be back at some point this season. 

Senior center Steve Eipper had an infection on his leg from working construction over the summer and missed some significant time in camp. That said, he is back and ready to anchor the offensive line. 

All eyes will be focused on the Chippewa offense, which was ranked 128th out of 129 a season ago. It's now led by senior transfer quarterback Quinten Dormady. 

A rare double-graduate transfer from Tennessee and Houston, Dormady will start under center as a guy who can throw the ball but is mobile enough to escape trouble when needed.

"You have to in today's game," Dormady said. "I'm not a guy who is going to run 50 zone reads a game or take off 25 times." 

The Chippewa offense is going to look similar this season, yet different. Last year, CMU ran a lot of zone-read type plays that allowed the quarterback to either hand the ball off, keep it and run or keep it and pass. 

In 2019, look for more of the same under McElwain and offensive coordinator Charlie Frye. The duo has appeared to add a spread concept wrinkle. Sophomore wide receiver JaCorey Sullivan said that what the coaches have put in place should excite fans at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

“This offense will be electrifying, that’s for sure,” Sullivan said. “There’s a lot more energy and a lot of big plays expected.”

Central Michigan vs. Albany 

Date: Aug. 29

Time: 7 p.m.

Venue: Kelly/Shorts Stadium

Location: Mount Pleasant, MI

TV: ESPN3

Radio: 98.5 WUPS

Spread: CMU -15

Over/Under: 45.5