Field hockey defense plays tough in 3-0 loss to No. 11 Michigan

cmuvslongwood-4

Goalkeeper Abigail Ebersole blocks and attempted shot from Longwood Sept. 15 at the Field Hockey Complex.

The Chippewas were shut out against a Big Ten opponent for the third time this season. 

But, this time around, Central Michigan (2-5) was able to hold Michigan (4-2) to just three goals in a 3-0 loss Saturday at home. Earlier in the season, it wasn't pretty with 11-0 losses to No. 8 Iowa and No. 12 Ohio State.

When the clock hit triple zeros, second-year coach Catherine Ostoich decided to look at the game from both a positive and negative perspective.

“I thought we did really well defensively,” Ostoich said. “We got together before the game and said we needed to play a lot harder defense. We needed to be resilient. We needed to be diligent, and you know what, for most of the game we saw that. 

"There were a couple of slip-ups, a couple of times we could’ve possessed better, but defensively, we stuck with the game plan.”

The Chippewas were able to hang tough with Michigan for much of the first half. After the first quarter ended tied at zero, Michigan took the lead. It occurred on a goal that was initially saved by Abigail Ebersole, but the rebound went to Fay Keijer of the Wolverines, and she was able to put it home.

With less than 20 seconds left in the half, the Chippewas earned back-to-back corner opportunities. On the second corner, CMU defender Alli Huddleson appeared to have tied the game at one, but the officials called the goal off.

The Chippewas were not able to get any shots off in the second half as Michigan controlled the flow of the game. In total, the Wolverines outshot the Chippewas, 31-3.

Ebersole played outstanding in goal for CMU making 16 saves, including 10 in the second half.

“Our goalkeeper today played out of her mind,” Ostoich said. “If it wasn’t for her, it would have been a different situation, but she played phenomenal and everybody else picked off of that.”

The Chippewas transition into the Mid-American Conference slate of the season. Their first conference game will take place against the Longwood Lancers in Farmville, Virginia. That game takes place at 4 p.m. Sept. 20.

Central also hopes that having three of its first six games against ranked opponents will help provide an edge heading into conference play.