Central-Western predictions: Beat writers analyze rivalry showdown

cmufootballsept14-14

Central Michigan defensive end Sean Adesanya intercepts a pass against Akron Sept. 14 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Trophies, trash talk, touchdowns and statewide bragging rights are the factors that encompass Central Michigan's rivalry against Western Michigan.

For one week each year, there are no friends – only enemies.

The Chippewas (2-2, 1-0 MAC) kick off against the Broncos (2-2) at noon Saturday from Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo.

The rivalry is the only way to secure the Victory Cannon Trophy, and it puts the winner out front for the Michigan MAC Trophy, given to Central, Western or Eastern Michigan.

With that said, these are the expectations from sports editor Evan Petzold and assistant sports editor Austin Chastain.

What's the biggest mismatch for the Chippewas?

Petzold: Without a doubt, the mismatch CMU needs to take advantage of is through attacking WMU's secondary, which has been weakened by the loss of cornerback D'Wayne Eskridge. Besides Kalil Pimpleton and Tyrone Scott, there hasn't been consistent production from the Chippewa receivers. Expect more players to touch the ball and tons of passes to be thrown.

Chastain: The WMU defensive line is strong, one of the best in the Mid-American Conference, but the defensive backs seem to be lacking. Getting running backs in space to challenge the Bronco secondary will be necessary for CMU. 

What does CMU have to do to win?

Petzold: Plain and simple, the Chippewas need to slow down WMU's offense, led by quarterback Jon Wassink and running back LeVante Bellamy. Both are seniors and considered the best in the MAC at their positions. It's no easy task, but the CMU needs to step up on defense against a high-powered attack.

Chastain: CMU needs to slow down Bellamy and wrap up well when tackling him. The WMU offense is good, so slowing it down will play paramount for the Chippewas. Offensively, CMU needs to not be intimidated and play like it has the last two weeks David Moore under center. 

How will David Moore play in his first college rivalry game?

Petzold: There's a lot of pressure, but I think he understands what the game means to the fans, community, alumni and the rest of his squad. After the way he played against the Hurricanes, I expect him to hold the offense together like glue.

Chastain: Ultimately, I think Moore gets it, he knows how important these kinds of games are and I believe he will go out and take control of the offense in a hurry. A home run play early on in the game would be exactly what the Chippewas need. 

What will be the deciding factor?

Petzold: Western Michigan's offensive line. The Broncos have to protect Wassink, give him time in the pocket and let him make the throws he's capable of converting. If that's not the case, WMU will quickly become a one-dimensional offense.

Chastain: Central Michigan's offensive line. Moore got beat up last week against the Hurricanes, but he was still able to make plays when he needed to. He also fumbled the ball twice, which cut drives short near the end zone. If the Chips up front can protect Moore, like they did against Akron, they can have another strong offensive performance against the weak WMU secondary. 

Score prediction?

Petzold: Western Michigan 42, Central Michigan 30

Chastain: Central Michigan 34, Western Michigan 27