Injured RB Jonathan Ward 'questionable to doubtful' for game against Western Michigan

dsc-0096-37

Senior running back Jonathon Ward attempts to hurdle his opponents at Kelly Shorts stadium on Thursday, August 29.

Jonathan Ward has been listed as questionable to doubtful for Central Michigan's rivalry game at Western Michigan.

After suffering a shoulder injury early in the Chippewas' Week 2 loss at Wisconsin, the senior running back has sat out the last two games and was said to miss an "extended period of time," according to first-year coach Jim McElwain.

Ward practiced in a red jersey Tuesday, which generally means he would miss the upcoming game.

Just one day later, Ward was out there again. This time, he was in his regular practice jersey. He went through drills and took contact.

"I was happy to see him take some reps and take some hits," McElwain said. "As of right now, I would consider him probably questionable to doubtful in this game. 

"I know it means a lot to him, and it's great for our guys to see him working and trying to get back."

To this point in the season, Ward has 161 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries in two appearances. He also has four catches for 62 yards. 

Ward's best game of the 2019 campaign came in the season opener against Albany. He had 22 carries for 158 yards and two scores. He also made three catches for 53 yards against the Great Danes.

In his Chippewa career, Ward has rushed for 1,592 yards on 313 carries and 15 touchdowns in 32 games. He also has 68 catches for 642 yards and three scores in the passing game.  

Other injury updates

McElwain said senior graduate transfer quarterback Quinten Dormady ran earlier this week after suffering an ankle injury against the Badgers. 

Defensive end Amir Siddiq played in CMU's last game against Miami (Florida) but tweaked his prior leg injury against the Hurricanes. He will be play against the Broncos.

Tight end Joel Wilson is no longer using his scooter after suffering a leg injury in the season opener against Albany. McElwain hopes Wilson will return "for the last part of the season." 

McElwain had no further updates on eligibility waivers for Derron Irving-Bey. He repeated that the case has been assigned but is still in the hands of the NCAA. 

CMU hits the road at noon on Saturday to take on the Broncos at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo. 

It is the 91st meeting in the rivalry, which dates back to 1907.