Deaf Awareness Week allows students to experience Deaf culture

St. Johns senior Hannah Janeski sits in her chair during the deaf blind simulations held on Sept. 27, 2018 in Heath Professions room 2150. (CM-Life File Photo)

Lunch picnics in the botanical gardens, bonfires, movies, painting with friends and deaf-blind simulations: There’s something for everyone in Deaf Awareness Week! Sign up for any or all events with your friends and submerge yourself in the Deaf culture.

Deaf Awareness Week is put on by the American Sign Language Division of the College of Health Professions here at Central Michigan University. The celebration includes events on and off-campus intended to get students informed and involved in Deaf culture. 

This year, it kicks off on Sept. 22 and continues until Sept. 27. Tickets to all of the events are free of charge, but are required to reserve a spot. 

Anyone is welcome to any event, and no prior ASL experience is necessary.

Sunday, Sept. 22

Silent Bonfire: 5-7 p.m. at Camp Weidman Scout Camp

Bring your camping chairs and marshmallows. Enjoy a silent bonfire and learn some conversational sign language with your peers. 

Monday, Sept. 23

Information Fair: 10 a.m.-1p.m. in the Health Professions Atrium

Curious about ASL? Bring your friends and learn about Deaf culture and how you could benefit from ASL. Find out how you can get involved in ASL at CMU!

Silent Lunch: Noon in the Botanical Gardens, or the Health Professions Atrium if there is rain

Pack a lunch and head down to the gardens for a picnic with your fellow ASL learners. Activities for all skill levels!

ASL Rocks: 6:30 p.m. in Anspach room 161

Come watch interpreters and students perform songs, poems and stories in ASL. Witness excellence from the performers putting on this fabulous display of a visual language.

Tuesday, Sept. 24

Hearing Loss Experience: 9:30-10:15 a.m. in Health Professions 2261 and 11-11:45 a.m. in Health Professions 1257

See the world from a different point of view by experiencing what it is actually like to be deaf.

ASL 101 Demo Class:  12:30-1:45 p.m. in the Health Professions Atrium

Interested in learning some basic ASL? Join us for a free lesson on simple vocabulary like colors, hobbies, and the alphabet!

Movie Night: 6 p.m. at Celebration Cinema

Come watch a free showing of "The Silent Natural," a movie based on the first Deaf Major League Baseball player.

Wednesday, Sept. 25

Doughnuts, Coffee and Silence: 9-11 a.m. at Cops and Doughnuts Central Precinct

Got a hankering for something sweet? Come get to know signers in all levels of experience and enjoy some yummy treats!

Deaf-blind simulations: Sessions last 45 minutes 

Session 1: 1-1:45 p.m. Health Professions 1251

Session 2: 2-2:45 p.m. Health Professions 1252

Session 1: 3-3:45 p.m. Health Professions 1252

Session 1 attendance is required for session 2.

Community panel: 6:30 p.m. in Anspach 161

Individuals who are Deaf, interpreters and educators in the Deaf community will discuss their experiences in the culture and how it has impacted them.

Thursday, Sept. 26

Mandy Harvey meet and greet: 1 p.m. Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium in the Park Library

Meet the Deaf singer and songwriter who performed a song with her ukulele on America’s Got Talent in 2017.

Mandy Harvey performance: 7:30 p.m. in Staples Concert Hall in the CMU School of Music

Witness the stunning performance of Mandy Harvey. Harvey uses her feet to feel the vibrations from her ukulele so she can sense her pitch!

Friday, Sept. 27

Book folding class: 1-1:45 p.m. in Health Professions 1251

Interested in arts and crafts? Make a beautiful folded page book in a class setting. There is a $5 fee for the class.

Canvas, Coffee, and De’VIA: 6-8 p.m. at Biggby Coffee on 210 S. Mission St.

Enjoy a painting class with friends while sipping a hot cup of joe! There is a $5 fee for class materials and coffee must be purchased separately.

To reserve your spot for a Deaf Awareness Week event, use the QR code below.