Student Government Association to hold first meeting Monday

dsc-0302-3

President Bob Davies welcomes SGA President Jake Hendricks on the stage at the final SGA meeting of the spring semester after they spent the day in each other's shoes on Monday, April 1 in Bovee University Center Auditorium.

The Student Government Association will be holding its first weekly meeting of the year 7 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 9 in the Bovee University Center auditorium. 

Monday’s meeting will be largely informational. The process for writing and ratifying student legislation will be explained, and there will be a presentation on how registered student organizations can request funds for conferences and projects. Requirements for SGA membership such as GPA and credit hour thresholds will be discussed, and President Bob Davies is set to speak on an undecided topic. 

This year, SGA is looking to double down on last year’s successes, SGA President Jake Hendricks said. They’re “definitely” going to organize another Golden Gala, a formal student body ball hosted for the first time in December, he said. The association also plans to renew and expand its Menstrual Hygiene Product Initiative, which last year brought free tampons to four campus bathrooms. 

Non-SGA members and students unaffiliated with an RSO are welcome at SGA meetings. Any student can work with SGA to enact legislation, such as an initiative currently in the works to establish a fall break to take place in October.

“The main thing is representing student interests and needs,” Hendricks said. “We connect students with the resources that they need to have their voices heard.”