Wide receiver JaCorey Sullivan focuses on details, has breakout performance

lrm-export-308107792434688-20191019-163312014

Central Michigan wide receiver JaCorey Sullivan gets off the ground after catching a pass in the first quarter against Bowling Green Oct. 19 Doyle L. Perry Stadium in Bowling Green.

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio – JaCorey Sullivan lined up furthest to the right of graduate transfer quarterback Quinten Dormady.

The junior wide receiver ran a seam route, cleared the linebackers and found himself wide open in the middle of the end zone. Given all the time to throw, Dormady let the ball fly.

His throw was low, just inches away from the turf at Doyt L. Perry Stadium.

That didn't matter – Sullivan was there.

He made the 24-yard grab to give the Chippewas a 7-0 lead with 11:53 remaining in the first quarter. On the eight-play drive, Sullivan accounted for three receptions and 47 yards.

"I just try to focus on the small details of the game as far as route running and release moves," Sullivan said. "It's just understanding each concept of each play that we run."

Sullivan has earned an increased role in the offense each week, and he's starting to gel with Dormady.

"When JaCorey gets going like that, he's hard to stop," Dormady said. "It makes it a lot of fun."

The junior didn't have a catch in Week 2 against Wisconsin but snagged passes against Akron (one for 8 yards), Miami (three for 39 yards), Western Michigan (five for 73 yards, one touchdown), Eastern Michigan (four for 76 yards) and New Mexico State (two for 20 yards).

However, in Week 1 against Albany, Sullivan was unable to play. He was suspended following an ejection for fighting in the second half of Central Michigan's 51-13 loss to Toledo in the 2018 finale.

But ever since Sullivan has been available to play, he's improved. 

Central Michigan wide receiver JaCorey Sullivan catches a pass for a touchdown in the first quarter against Bowling Green Oct. 19 Doyle L. Perry Stadium in Bowling Green.

Sullivan finished with eight catches for 126 yards and one touchdown in Central Michigan's 38-20 victory against Bowling Green on Oct. 19 at Doyt L. Perry Stadium.

Dormady finished 22 of 36 for 295 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Sullivan was the only receiver that went over 100 yards.

"I'm just trying to be myself, have fun with the game and do what I'm supposed to do," Sullivan said. 

Through his 23 receptions for 342 yards and two scores this season, Sullivan has had to do it with two different quarterbacks – Dormady and junior David Moore.

Sullivan's catches against Akron, Miami, Western Michigan and Eastern Michigan came exclusively from Moore, while his 20 yards against the Aggies and performance against Bowling Green were due to Dormady's arm.

"It can be difficult sometimes because they have different throwing styles," Sullivan said of the transition. "You just have to adjust. We try to do as much as we can to get the timing down."

Dormady started Week 1 before sustaining a knee injury in the second game of the season on the first drive against Wisconsin. Moore took over until he was suspended by the NCAA for testing positive for a banned substance.

That put the starting spot back into Dormady's hands just as he was cleared by the medical staff to play.

The difference between Dormady and Moore is the speed and strength of the typical throw for each quarterback.

"I feel like Quinten has a soft touch to the ball, and David has a much firmer ball," Sullivan said. "You just have to adjust to the timing. Not that big of a difference, but we have to get it down."

Even though there's a slight difference between Dormady and Moore, the offensive system in place doesn't have to change.

The run-pass option, spread offense isn't going to change under first-year coach Jim McElwain, regardless of which player is under center. 

"Most of the time, when you lose a starting quarterback – whatever the case might be – it can be hard to get the next quarterback to adapt to the speed of the game," Sullivan said. "To have them both on the same page and equally skilled makes it easier. It's not hard to adapt."

Throughout the second, third and fourth quarter of Central Michigan's 18-point win against the Falcons, Sullivan continued to make receptions when it mattered most.

He helped move the ball down the field, and those drives – more often than not – resulted in touchdowns.

As Sullivan continues to be relied on in the passing game, he also wants to stay positive and help the younger receivers, like redshirt freshman Tyrone Scott, succeed. 

"I know a lot of young guys look up to me," Sullivan said. "They watch me play and take parts of my game to mix in with their game. I always have eyes on me. I make sure to do what the coaches have me do."