Running backs Jonathan Ward, Kobe Lewis carry load for Chippewas

lrm-export-37707463515604-20191012-185600545

Central Michigan quarterback Quinten Dormady hands off the football to running back Kobe Lewis against New Mexico State Oct 12 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Senior running back Jonathan Ward seemed unstoppable.

His backup, sophomore Kobe Lewis, was just as efficient.

Behind a combined 292 yards from the pair of running backs, Central Michigan earned a convincing 42-28 victory over New Mexico State at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. The Chippewas improved to 4-3 overall. 

"I love what both those guys bring," said first-year coach Jim McElwain. "You feel really comfortable when they're in there. Both of them have finish speed, and that's big."

Lewis carried the ball 23 times for 161 yards and two touchdowns, while Ward ran 18 times for 145 yards and one touchdown. He also compiled four receptions for 36 yards.

Before Ward got in the end zone, it was Lewis – twice.

The sophomore took the ball 57 yards on second-and-10 from the CMU 43 to make it a 14-0 edge for the Chippewas. For the first scoring play in the second quarter, Lewis was back at it again.

He snagged a handoff from quarterback Quinten Dormady and dashed 20 yards to the end zone, giving CMU a 21-7 lead with 7:23 left until halftime.

Lewis' 57-yard score came on the second play of the second offensive drive of the game.

There was a bit of confusion before the play, as the three wide receivers on the field were in motion moments before the snap.

Dormady was able to get the play call off in time. With the defense shifting due to the previous movement from the receivers, Lewis waited for his opportunity, saw a hole and took off down the middle of the field.

He wasn't touched, even though defensive players were on his heels.

"That's finishing," Lewis said. "If I wouldn't have got that, I wouldn't have finished. That was the one thing going through my mind. I just went hard."

On fourth-and-1 with 9:14 to play in the second quarter, Lewis picked up 4 yards to move the ball to the New Mexico State 27-yard line.

Shortly after, Lewis was in the end zone after spinning off a defender and diving in.

"With me, I come into the game knowing that I have to be comfortable," Lewis said. "After the first hit, you're shaken in, pads are broken in, and you're ready to play ball."

Central Michigan running back runs past the New Mexico State defense Oct. 12 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

But the 42-28 win over the Aggies wasn't all about Lewis. 

Ward was also impactful.

First, there was an injury scare.

Following a dump-off pass from Dormady, Ward broke away in hot pursuit of the end zone. He was tripped up near the goal line, fumbled the football and landed awkwardly.

Ward immediately put his helmet to the ground in the corner of the end zone, and Central Michigan trainers rushed out to see if he was hurt. 

"A little bit," McElwain said when asked if Ward got injured, "but he popped back in there. He wasn't going to stay out. I loved his toughness."

The senior eventually got up and hobbled for roughly 15 yards before walking across the field to the CMU sideline. He tossed his helmet to the turf in frustration due to turning the ball over.

The defense stood up the Aggies and got the ball back to the offense, and that's where Lewis scored his second touchdown of the game. Ward remained on the sideline.

"What did our defense do? Got the ball right back," McElwain said. "A good punt return gave us field position, and we went down to score. To me, those are teachable moments for the football team."

New Mexico State followed Lewis' score with a touchdown of its own, as quarterback Josh Adkins found OJ Clark wide open for 11 yards in the end zone.

Then, Ward returned.

On the first play of the ensuing drive, Ward found a hole and cruised for a 75-yard touchdown. It was his first touch since fumbling eight minutes earlier.

In last weekend's 42-16 victory over Eastern Michigan, Ward logged 12 carries for 132 yards and two touchdowns, along with three receptions for 73 yards and a score. He was named the Mid-American Conference Offensive Player of the Week.

Lewis said Ward's performance against the Eagles motivated him.

"Seeing him do things like that and me being younger, that's something I look up to," Lewis said. "When it's my chance, I try to go out there and put up big plays like him."

Having a one-two punch of Ward and Lewis in the backfield is crucial to the success of the team, the sophomore running back said. 

And Lewis hopes to carry that into the remaining five games of the 2019 regular season.

"That puts a lot of confidence in us, and it gives the coaches confidence in the offense," Lewis said. "That's some we admire about our team."