Volleyball takes care of business against Kent State

Outside Hitter, Kalina Smith, moves to spike the ball during the Chippewa Invitational Friday, Sept. 6.

The Central Michigan volleyball team has done it again.

The Chippewas have won nine straight contests and have a 13-2 overall record, with an unbeaten Mid-American Conference record. 

And the latest win came Oct. 5 against Kent State (7-9, 0-4 MAC) at McGuirk Arena with a final score of 3-1.

The Golden Flashes won a tightly contested first set 25-23, for their first set win in conference play.

After that, it was all CMU. 

The Chippewas won the second set 25-19 and then battled with Kent State in the third set before getting the victory on a ferocious kill by Kalina Smith. CMU won set three 25-23.

That final kill in the third set seemed to power the Chippewas in the fourth set, as they won the final set in dominant fashion, taking an early lead and never letting up on the way to a 25-16 win. 

Player Highlights

Smith led the team in kills for the night with 14 and was second on the team in digs with 13. Sophomore Savannah Thompson was not far behind her with 13 kills, 12 digs and 1 service ace for the night.

Grace Butler led all players in assists with 28. Kendall Braate finished with 20 assists, 12 digs and 1 service ace. Butler now has 50 assists this week, which is more than the 34 she had last week which earned her Co-MAC West Setter of the Week along with Braate.

Megan Kern had another successful night, racking up 26 digs, 1 service ace and 4 assists. Kern now has 42 digs on the week – more than the 37 she had last week that earned her MAC West Defensive Player of the Week.

Up Next 

The Chippewas will play at home against Ball State (8-7, 2-1 MAC) at 6 p.m. Oct. 11 in McGuirk Arena. 

The next day at 8 p.m., CMU will host Toledo (7-8, 0-3 MAC).

Head coach Mike Gawlik is looking to see more students show their support and come out to the volleyball games. 

“I hope that students are reading CM Life,” Gawlik said. “ I hope they’re reading the website and I hope they’re reading social media, because I feel like it’s an electric environment and I feel like people are missing out on that.”