Crime Log: CMU police receive reports of rapes in Saxe, Emmons halls

springtailgate-6

Police officers parole the parking lots outside Kelly Shorts Stadium before Spring Game 2019 April 13.

The following incidents were among those handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department from Oct. 15-19.

Oct. 15

CMUPD assisted Mount Pleasant Police Department with the investigation of an assault complaint at 11:36 a.m. CMU police did not make any arrests in the investigation. Because the case is being handled by MPPD, university police could not provide any further details. 

A 21-year-old woman reported vehicle damage at 7 a.m. from Lot 22, 1599 West Campus Dr. The woman reported finding a hole in the rearview window of her car. The victim told CMU police it appeared as if an object was thrown through the window, but she was unable to find any object in the car. The damage is valued at $500, said Lt. Cameron Wassman of CMUPD. Police reviewed video surveillance in the area, but there are no suspects at this time. 

CMU police assisted MPPD in the investigation of an injury accident at 7:45 p.m. at Broomfield Street and Tall Grass Street. Police were investigating a vehicle vs. moped crash where the vehicle reportedly left the scene. CMU police did not make any arrests in the investigation. Because the incident is being handled by MPPD, university police could not provide any further details. 

Oct. 16

A 30-year-old female faculty member reported a disorderly student to CMU police at 3:15 p.m. in Wightman Hall. The woman told police that the student, a 45-year-old man, was verbally argumentative in class. The student did not make any threats, but he made disruptive comments during the class, the woman reported.

Oct. 17

Police investigated a computer invasion report that occurred at 9:15 p.m. on Oct. 16 at 500 East Ojibway Court. A 19-year-old man reported that someone had hacked into his computer and first told him to pay $100, then $500, to unlock the computer. The case remains under investigation by CMU police. 

Police conducted the welfare check of a student that had made suicidal comments at 7:13 p.m.

CMU police reported a case of dating violence in Larzelere Hall that is being investigated by the Office of Student Conduct. Although CMU police could not provide any details about the case, Wassman clarified that dating violence is any kind of verbal threats made between partners of a relationship. Dating violence is different from domestic violence, which involves physical acts of violence made between partners, Wassman said.

CMU police received the report of a rape that occurred on Sept. 18 in Emmons Hall. The incident was reported to a Campus Security Authority, which is a member of the university who is required to report rape incidents. Police do not have any additional details about the incident. 

Oct. 18

Police investigated a larceny report that occurred Oct. 12 during the Central Michigan football homecoming game. The victim, a 19-year-old man, told police he left his jacket in the tailgate lots during the game. When he returned to retrieve the jacket, his wallet that was in the jacket pocket was missing. Police do not have any suspects at this time. 

CMU police assisted another agency with phone forensics at 11:39 a.m.

Oct. 19

Police are investigating the report of fourth degree criminal sexual conduct that occurred in Saxe Hall during the Fall 2018 semester. Because the incident remains under investigation, CMU police did not release any details about the case or the victim.