Following redshirt season, PJ Mitchell aims to find role in 2019-20 season

imr2339

Central Michigan guard P.J. Mitchell warms up before the Maroon and Gold Scrimmage Oct. 22 at McGuirk Arena.

PJ Mitchell has the talent to be a difference-maker for the Central Michigan men’s basketball team.

The redshirt freshman guard is prepared to take the floor for the first time as a Chippewa in 2019-20 after taking a redshirt and sitting out last season.

After spending a year watching players like Larry Austin Jr. and Shawn Roundtree Jr. step up to the occasion in high-intensity games for the Chippewas and going against those guys in practice, Mitchell could finally have a role on the court for eighth-year coach Keno Davis this year.

Davis' hope for Mitchell was that practicing with Austin and Roundtree – while also defending them – would prepare him for the future. 

The strategy worked.

“It was growing pains for him, but you didn’t hear him complain once last year," Davis said. "He was just working toward getting better.”

Mitchell appreciated the chance to learn from players of Austin's and Roundtree's quality. He didn't only learn how to perform on the court, but he realized what it took off the court to be successful.

“He was a good leader, a great teammate to everyone," Mitchell said of Austin. "I learned almost everything from those guys. Going against Larry and (Roundtree) motivated me every day.”

Mitchell is ready to take that experience and use it to help his teammates in whatever capacity he is asked as he continues to work hard in practice and fight for more game minutes.

“Wherever (Davis) wants me at,” Mitchell said of his role. “I’m gonna do my best to do what he wants.”

Mitchell knows that his time will come. 

For now, the redshirt freshman will most likely start the season in a limited role, but eventually, whether it be this season or next, he will be one of the players that Davis and the rest of the team look to succeed in crucial situations.

There's a process to get there, and the first step in completing the process is fully understanding it.

“Regardless of how many minutes he gets early in the season, I think you’re looking at a guy that can really improve as a player and be a big factor for our team,” Davis said.

Mitchell is not going to judge his success this season based on minutes or statistics.

He averaged 16.1 points per game, 7.3 assists and 3.0 rebounds in his senior year at Detroit Edison High School.

“The goal for myself is to be a good teammate,” Mitchell said. “I just want to win my first year playing in college.”

When asked if the thought of getting a taste of Division I basketball brings up any nerves, Mitchell's answer was simple.

“I’m just playing basketball,” Mitchell said. “What I’ve done my whole life.”