Point guard Rashad Weekly-McDaniels signs with Central Michigan, wants to etch name in history books

weekley-mcdaniels
(Photo: Rashad Weekly-McDaniels / Twitter)

Rashad Weekly-McDaniels took notice of the interest. 

Central Michigan men's basketball coach Keno Davis made it a priority to watch the point guard from Trinity Catholic High School in St. Louis, Missouri, every time he had the chance.

McDaniels was aware of this, and the constant presence of Davis was a deciding factor that led him to commit to the Chippewas on Sept. 6. 

"He showed me that he wanted me and that I was a high priority on his list," Weekly-McDaniels said. 

The 6-foot point guard also held offers to extend his playing career at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, SIUE and Western Illinois. 

Weekly-McDaniels signed his national letter of intent Nov. 13, thus becoming a Chippewa. 

He stated that Davis' honesty and interest had him leaning toward Central Michigan from the get-go, but a visit to campus in late August, in which he spent time with the team, helped to finalize the decision. 

"I told coach Keno, 'I'm going to commit to you guys if the campus visit is what I expect,'" Weekly-McDaniels said. "With the gym not being far (from residence halls), (the campus) fits me perfect."

The highlight of his visit was a chance to scrimmage with his future teammates. 

Weekly-McDaniels was eager to get a first look at what the future has to hold. He noted that his style of play fits perfectly within the Chippewas system.

"I fit in with the guys," Weekly-McDaniels said. "It was perfect." 

When asked about his style of play, McDaniels described himself as "a true point guard," meaning he's an unselfish ball handler who prefers to give his teammates opportunities to score the basketball. 

He noted that he looks forward to manning the backcourt alongside current redshirt freshman PJ Mitchell.

Shifting his focus, Weekly-McDaniels has high hopes for his time at Central Michigan. 

"In my first year, my goal is to play a big role," he said.

He mentioned the Chippewas missing the presence of graduated guards such as Shawn Roundtree Jr. and Larry Austin Jr.. He said that in order to continue the development of the program, someone needs to step up and fill their vacated roles. 

Leave it to him.

"I want to be one of the best players to ever play in Central Michigan history," Weekly-McDaniels said. "I want my name to be in the history books."