Offensive lineman Oge Udeogu to miss remainder of season with injury

While blocking for running back Jonathan Ward at the goal line, senior offensive guard Oge Udeogu fell to the turf at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Udeogu, a graduate transfer from Iowa State, didn't get up.

Eventually, he was able to get off the ground, and he immediately walked to the locker room. 

Udeogu broke his arm on the play and is set to undergo surgery on Friday night. He will miss the remainder of the 2019 season, first-year coach Jim McElwain said after the game. 

"It breaks my heart," McElwain said. "He's a guy that joined us as a couple of these guys have and really made us better. He's a great teammate. The guys love him. We love him."

When Udeogu was making his way to the locker room, he clutched his helmet and pumped it in the air as Chippewa fans cheered for him, a way of thanking the senior for what he did to help change the culture of the program.

But the moment Udeogu got into the tunnel that led to the locker room, he launched his helmet in frustration.

Putting Central Michigan ahead 28-0 with 6:33 left in the second quarter due to Udeogu's blocking in the trenches, Ward jogged over to him and patted him on the back.

McElwain said the next step is getting Udeogu healthy enough for Pro Day, which takes place in mid-March. It's a chance for scouts to watch players perform before the 2020 NFL Draft.

"We'll get that thing fixed and get him ready for Pro Day," McElwain said. "That's obviously a big loss. I just feel for him. Since he's come here, he's invested in being a Chippewa."

Regardless of what happens in Udeogu's future, McElwain said the offensive guard will be successful wherever he ends up in life.

"I'm just glad he chose to let us be a part of his senior year," McElwain said.

Central Michigan Oge Udeogu injures his arm during a play Nov. 29 at McGuirk Arena.