Central Michigan officially submits appeal to NCAA for suspended QB David Moore

Central Michigan quarterback David Moore listens for the play call during a practice Oct. 29 at Bennett Track Field.

Central Michigan has taken the next step in the appeals process for suspended junior quarterback David Moore.

The university has officially submitted an appeal to the NCAA in an attempt to get Moore's suspension overturned.

First-year coach Jim McElwain said Moore's appeal had to be sent in by Nov. 22, and it was delivered shortly before the deadline.

"It's been sent in," McElwain said. "I know that. Where it's at from there, nobody knows."

Moore tested positive for a banned substance, which the university cited an over-the-counter nutritional supplement as the likely cause. 

Due to the positive test for a performance-enhancing drug, Moore was immediately suspended.

McElwain did not cite the type of substance Moore took, and he also did not explain the angle for the appeal.

When asked if he felt optimistic about Moore's chances to win the appeal, McElwain said, "Who knows?"

Central Michigan's coach added that it will come down to how the person handling the case decides to treat the Chippewas.

"How they are going to treat Central Michigan in comparison to other places, you just never know," McElwain said. "We'll find out. I think there's been some precedents at times possibly, so we'll just see.

"It's totally up to them."

Central Michigan quarterback David Moore gets ready to throw a pass during a practice Sept. 24 at Bennett Track Field.

After throwing for 1,143 yards and five touchdowns while also rushing for one score, Moore became ineligible due to the failed drug test. He started four games following Quinten Dormady's injury in Week 2 against Wisconsin.

Shortly after an Oct. 5 win against Eastern Michigan, Moore was suspended. Over a month later, his appeal was finally sent to the NCAA.

Moore has been ineligible to play through the appeals process, and he will be forced to wait until October 2020 to get back on the field if his appeal is denied. 

The ban lasts 365 days from the date of the test, which was Oct. 7.

Back in early October, Central Michigan Athletic Director Michael Alford announced the university's decision to appeal the NCAA's ruling.

"Based on the university’s review of the available evidence, the university has decided to appeal this ruling," Alford said.

The appeal process typically takes a long period time, and that has already been showcased by the amount of time it took CMU to file paperwork to the NCAA. 

McElwain and teammate Steve Eipper spoke about Moore's suspension shortly after it was handed down. 

“You just feel for him," McElwain said on Oct. 9 to Central Michigan Life. "I know I’ve made a ton of mistakes. It’s something you have to deal with. The really good thing is that he’s got great support here, great support from our compliance office, our administration and his teammates."

Moore, along with the rest of the team, was told before the season to check with the team trainers before taking any type of supplement – regardless of if it was prescribed or purchased over-the-counter.

"One of the things that is stressed in all those meetings is that before you do anything, you want to check whatever is in it with the trainers," McElwain said. 

"In this case, it's an innocent mistake. You just feel bad.”