Kalina Smith wins Offensive Player of the Week following strong weekend showing

dsc-0643-25

Sophomore outside hitter Kalina Smith passes the ball on Saturday, Sept. 22 in McGuirk Arena. 

Another week, another name recognized.

After sweeping yet another weekend to improve to 20-4 on the season, Central Michigan saw its junior outside hitter Kalina Smith be named Mid-American Conference West Division Offensive Player of the Week.

Smith hit at an astounding .351% clip in a four-set victory over Western Michigan on Halloween, tallying 19 kills in the process. She added 12 more kills along with six digs in Saturday's sweep of Northern Illinois. 

"Kalina is one of the best attackers in the league when she's firing on all cylinders," said coach Mike Gawlik. "She's peaking at the right time for us."

On the season, Smith ranks second in the MAC in kills per set with 3.44 and fifth in points per set with 3.81. In addition to her team-leading 296 kills, the Powell, Wyoming native ranks second on the team in digs with 249. 

"There are not many players in our league who have been named both Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week," Gawlik said.

With the weekend sweep, the Chippewas improved to 10-2 in the MAC and hold a three-game lead in the MAC West with four games to play. 

Central Michigan has a chance to clinch a share of the MAC West title when they take on Eastern Michigan in their home finale on Thursday night.