Career night earns Micaela Kelly MAC weekly honors

kelly-dec-6-2

Central Michigan guard Micaela Kelly was named the Mid-American Conference West Player of the Week in women's basketball.

The junior guard from Detroit led the Chippewas to their fifth-straight victory last week over South Dakota State. 

Kelly started strong scoring 23 points in the first half on her way to a career-high 38 points on the night. 

Additionally, Kelly had a season-high four steals in the 79-74 win over the Jackrabbits on Saturday in Brookings, South Dakota. 

In the win, Kelly had a strong shooting night going 12-of-18 from the field, including a career-best 7-of-8 from beyond the arc. Kelly missed only one free throw going 7-of-8 from the line.

The game marked the second time this season that Kelly surpassed her previous career-high in scoring, the first coming against Dayton when Kelly scored 29 points to surpass her previous career-high of 26.

Kelly has been hard for opposing defenses to stop this season and is scoring with the best in the country. She leads the Chippewas in scoring averaging 22.6 points per game good enough for second in the MAC and sixth in the country.

Her performance so far this season has put her in a national conversation as one of the premier players among mid-major programs.

Kelly and the Chippewas will travel to Auburn Hills to face Oakland on Wednesday. The Golden Grizzlies are currently on a two-game losing streak, but will present another tough opponent in the nonconference season for CMU.