Motivated and appreciative: Wide receiver signee Zahir Swann eager to repay his mother's love

swann

(Photo: LaToya Dickey)

When Zahir Swann signed his letter of intent, he might as well have been etching his name in the blue sky hanging over his hometown of Irvington, New Jersey. 

"This is a huge deal," said his mother, LaToya Dickey. "A lot of kids that go off to public school, they're not looked at often as the kids who are in the private schools." 

Swann, who also received offers from Bowling Green, Western Michigan and Cincinnati, recognizes the opportunity and is grateful for it.

"Where I'm from, we don't get many opportunities like this," Swann said. 

The 5-foot-8 receiver's story goes far beyond the field. 

To know Swann as a player, one must understand his massive commitment not just to football but to his family. 

'She isn't paying for anything'

Dickey's been aware of her son's dream to play Division I football since he was 7 years old. She never doubted his ambition, but mixing youth with the struggle of getting attention through the public school environment, it could be interpreted as banter.

For Swann, it was never banter. It was a guarantee. 

"I always had the ambition to go to college for free," Swann said. "I always told my mom she isn't paying for anything."

As a mother, Dickey is enlightened by her son's accomplishments.

"This means everything to me," she said. "This is like the biggest load he's ever lifted off my shoulders."

(Photo: Zahir Swann)

Before committing to Central Michigan, Swann had a different plan in mind. He was planning to verbally commit to Cincinnati before a knock came at the door. 

The knock came from Central Michigan defensive line coach Justin Hinds, who played college football in the New Jersey area. According to both Swann and Dickey, things began to change the second Hinds was invited into the house. 

"It was just like having a brother over for dinner," Dickey said. 

"I eventually took my visits to all the schools that offered and Central Michigan was just different," Swann added. "After leaving the campus, I knew that it was going to be my home for the next four to five years." 

Protecting one another

When it came to her son's recruitment, Dickey was content to take a back seat. She was willing to let him make his own decision, however, she wanted to be aware of the environment her son would be entering. 

"I just wanted to get an idea of the coaches, their backgrounds and get an understanding of where they come from and exactly where they're going," Dickey said. "At the end of the day, when my son goes off to college, he's going to spend a lot of time with these guys."

Dickey is aware that her 18-year-old son is still growing up and wanted to make sure the atmosphere was productive for development. She was protecting him while respecting his freedom to make a decision.

The protector mentality has been passed down to Zahir, who willingly looks after his younger sister Aniya, who is 16. 

"He's very protective of her," Dickey said. "He's pretty protective of all of his siblings but when it comes down to her, because she's the youngest. He's very strict, and he adheres to the things she needs."

The family took a campus visit over the summer. Mother and son were both sold. 

"As soon as I walked on campus the coaches welcomed me as if I was family," Swann said. "You could tell it was real genuine."

"I'm still talking about it to this day," Dickey added. "Greatest visit I've ever had."

Swann was the first verbal commit of Central Michigan's 2020 class. 

'One of the most exciting players in the state'

On the field, Swann has created a reputation with his speed and athleticism. 

He has the potential to be another speedy receiver in the mix for the Chippewas, who already boast one of the best receiving corps in the conference with redshirt freshman Tyrone Scott, sophomore Kalil Pimpleton and junior JaCorey Sullivan. 

"He's very versatile; he lines up all over the field," said Albert Karschnia, Central Michigan football's director of player personnel. "He's very elusive, can make people miss and has got a great feel with the ball in his hands."

Swann is a three-star prospect, according to 247Sports. When asked about his potential on the field, he humbly acknowledged the talent he possesses. 

"The fans can expect to get their money's worth," Swann said. "I think I'm one of the most entertaining players in the state, and I say that in the most humble way." 

Adding that he wants to bring championships to Mount Pleasant, it's clear that Swann is eager to hit the field and possesses high expectations. 

However, there are expectations just as high for his performance in the classroom.

"(I expect him) to excel academically," Dickey said, "and to make a name for himself on a positive level on the field." 

"I would like to get my degree for sure," Swann said. "Football isn't forever and I want to have something I can fall back on."

This accomplishment is a dream come true for all parties involved. 

Signing the letter of intent is the first step in realizing a childhood dream.

"To see my son, who has had this dream since he was about 7 or 8 years old, to actually fulfill his dream, that's like the proudest moment ever," Dickey said.

Dickey expects to tear up when her son runs out of the tunnel onto the field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium for the first time. 

If tears do fall, they'll be tears of joy.