Jim McElwain will 'absolutely' coach Central Michigan in bowl game

imr1519

Central Michigan coach Jim McElwain walks down the tunnel toward the field before the second half of the MAC Championship game Dec. 7 at Ford Field in Detroit, MI. 

Jim McElwain isn't going anywhere.

Central Michigan first-year coach Jim McElwain has committed to staying with the program – at least until the bowl game.

Following a 26-21 loss to Miami (Ohio) in the Mid-American Conference championship, McElwain was questioned if he'd be with Chippewas as the head coach for the bowl game.

"Absolutely," McElwain said in response. "I can't wait."

Central Michigan will find out its bowl game destination by mid-afternoon Sunday, and the spots are likely down to the Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl (Dec. 21), Camellia Bowl (Dec. 21), SERVPRO First Responders Bowl (Dec. 30), Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (Jan. 3) and LendingTree Mobile Bowl (Jan. 6).

McElwain described a spot in a bowl game as a chance to celebrate a season.

The 57-year-old helped the Chippewas from a 1-11 record in 2018 to an 8-5 mark in 2019 with a trip to the conference championship game.

"I think it's a great reward for what these guys do throughout the year to give them an opportunity to go play another ballgame, go enjoy some things," McElwain said. "I think it's a really good thing."

McElwain's name was rumored to be in the mix for the Missouri head coaching position after Missouri athletic director Jim Sterk fired Barry Odom after four seasons. 

Other names mentioned by The Kansas City Star's Souichi Terada were Arkansas State coach Blake Anderson, Louisiana Tech coach Skip Holtz, Army coach Jeff Monken and Nevada coach Jay Norvell.

McElwain has a team meeting scheduled for 4:30 p.m. tomorrow to discuss where the Chippewas are headed.

"We figured we should know by then," McElwain said.