Nottawa Docks wins 2019 Make-a-Pitch competition

make-a-pitch

First place winning team Nottawa Docks stands with their check for $250 Dec. 4 in Grawn Hall Atrium.

Thirty-three teams with more than 70 students competed in the 2019 Make-a-Pitch competition Wednesday night. Central Michigan University’s version of "Shark Tank’ let students pitch a product to a group of experienced entrepreneurs. 

The competition took place 6-9 p.m. Dec. 4 with the grand prize of a $250 gift card to the CMU bookstore. 

The competition was open to all CMU students. Pitches ranged from waste management all the way to virtual reality and a movie production company. 

“This pitch is the first step and shows the importance of networking,” said Chris Moberg, dean of the College of Business Administration. 

The event started off with all 33 teams spread out between four different rooms, each with a small number of judges. Each group had two minutes to pitch their idea – no slideshows allowed. After their presentation, the judges gave immediate feedback. 

After the first round was complete, the judges picked two of the best pitches in each room for a total of nine finalists. 

The nine finalists were: Nottawa Docks, Rectifier Publications, Traveling Tailgate, Soundcup, Trill Tronics, Tecadamia, Alcoflo, #RealEasyRecycling and Ignite Donuts. 

Each of the nine finalists gave their pitch again to all 19 judges in the Grawn Hall Atrium. There were five prizes: First place received $250, the second received $150 and third got $100. Two honorable mentions received $50 each. The best video received $100 as well.

The first-place winner of the Make-a-Pitch competition was Nottawa Docks. 

“The most intimidating part was that I was first up [in the final] and I usually like to be right in the middle," Oxford sophomore Josh Wright, who pitched Nottawa Docks, said. He said his presentation stood out because he used to sell boats, so he was able to use that experience.

Make-a-Pitch is the halfway mark before the big finale: The New Venture Competition on April 17.