Local preschooler raises money to buy every schoolmate a book

9c8509f7-4c84-4745-a982-85b0b826a53e

Zoey (center) with her mother Shelby Flores (left) and grandmother Stacey Tipton (right). (Courtesy photo)

Zoey, a four-year-old who attends the CMU Child Development and Learning Laboratory Preschool, proved that an act of kindness can be made at any age. 

Zoey worked to raise money so that she could buy a book for every child enrolled at the CDLL for the holiday. Zoey raised over $400 to buy the seventy-two kids she goes to school with a book.

Shelby Flores, Zoey’s mother, says that when Zoey grows up she wants to be, “a doctor or a superhero.” The profession always changes, Flores said.

Zoey purchased Osborne and More Wipe-Clean Books with the money she raised. The book is a way for young children to improve their handwriting skills and pen control, according to the company.

preschoolgirlinstorypic

Zoey came up with the idea on her own, her mother said.

“She was with her grandma reading and said she wished the other kids could have these books,” Flores said.

How does a four-year-old raise over four hundred dollars? Zoey sold candy bars and small bundt cakes that she made at places such as her father's work, her mother said.

Charlotte Galgoci, Program Assistant at the CMU Child Development and Learning Lab said, “Children can learn compassion through acts of kindness. For Zoey this means having her family support her idea of wanting to give a book to every child in our preschool.” 

Flores, describes her daughter as having a kind heart. “She likes to help other people,” she said.

William Sheahan-Stahl, Zoey’s teacher at CDLL, agreed with Flores' assessment.

“It makes my heart full to see how much joy is brought to Zoey by giving to others," he said.