Soccer standout Alina Miagkova transfers from Central Michigan

Midfielder Alina Miagkova tries to gain back procession of the ball during their kick-off game Friday, Sept. 6.

After spending a single season with the Central Michigan soccer team, Alina Miagkova has announced her transfer to Syracuse.

The junior was used in her natural position as a defender as well as in the midfield. She scored three goals, good enough for third on the team and contributed one assist. Miagkova started 11 of the 13 games she appeared in for the Chippewas. 

Last season, Miagkova split time with the Russian women’s national team, scoring a goal in a UEFA European Championship qualifying match against Estonia. Which Russia won, 4-0.

Miagkova posted a picture to Instagram of the Syracuse logo on Jan. 12, then the university announced the transfer Jan. 14 in a press release.

"I'm excited about the opportunity to play soccer at the highest level while earning an education from such a quality university," Miagkova said via the press release.

The Orange went 3-11-1 overall and 1-7-1 in Atlantic Coast Conference play in 2019. 

Miagkova was signed by the Chippewas in April of 2019, at the time the signing was announced first-year coach Jeremy Groves praised her ability and experience and said the signing would show the Chippewas intent to compete instantly.

Despite the optimism after starting the season 5-0-2, the Chippewas finished the season 7-6-4. 

CMU claimed a victory in one of its final seven games, including a 4-1 loss to Bowling Green in the first round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament. 

Groves came under criticism after comments he made following a loss to Akron on Oct. 27. He later apologized for the remarks. 

It is unclear if Miagkova’s transfer after just one semester on campus is related to Groves' comments.