City Commission re-appoints Will Joseph as mayor, Perschbacher appointed as vice mayor

jan-13-2019-1
Mount Pleasant city commissioners discuss city issues at the Jan. 13 city commission meeting at Mount Pleasant City Hall.

Mount Pleasant City Commissioner Will Joseph was re-appointed as mayor by fellow commissioners and two new commissioners were sworn in at the Jan. 13 Mount Pleasant City Commission meeting.

Along with the mayoral vote, Amy Perschbacher was appointed as the new vice mayor, replacing Lori Gillis who served as vice mayor last year. Both Joseph and Perschbacher were chosen in 5-2 votes, with commissioners Petro Tolas and Lori Gillis dissenting votes for both.

George Ronan and Mary Alsager were sworn in as city commissioners. They were elected in November and replaced long-time commissioners Kathy Ling and Tony Kulick.

Other News:

• City Clerk Jeremy Howard gave a presentation about the 2020 Census. He said banners have been made to promote the census and said that he is still looking for part-time census workers.
  • Commissioners unanimously approved three public meetings to promote and educate the public about the city’s new Master Plan, City Manager Nancy Ridley said. Ridley said feedback indicated that many residents didn’t know there was a new Master Plan. Tolas said he spoke with business owners, who also didn’t know the city was working on it.
  • The commission voted unanimously to schedule a public hearing on Jan. 27 regarding a special assessment for a project on Michigan Street downtown. Ridley said the project would include new sidewalks and pedestrian lighting. She said part of the lighting cost would be charged to the businesses on the street.