MAC basketball update: CMU women remain undefeated in conference play

wbb-feb-5-1

Central Michigan forward Kyra Bussell high-fives ball girls before a game against Northern Illinois Feb. 5 at McGuirk Arena.

With just over half the Mid-American Conference season to play, both basketball teams at Central Michigan are in prime spots for the postseason. 

The Chippewa women’s basketball team remains undefeated in the conference after two wins over conference foes this week. The men’s team split the week with a 10-point win over Bowling Green followed by a tightly contested five-point loss to Buffalo on Friday.

Women’s basketball

The Chippewas are now 11-0 in MAC play after pair of wins over Northern Illinois and Miami (Ohio). The West Division leaders hold a three-game lead over Ohio, the current East Division leader, for the top spot in the conference. 

After losing on Feb. 1 to the Chippewas, the Bobcats rallied off two-straight victories. Sitting at 8-3 in the MAC, the Bobcats are now 2.5 games ahead of Kent State (5-5) for the East Division race. Outside of Ohio and Kent State, no other team in the East Division has a .500 or better record.

The Chippewas lead the West by 3.5 games over Ball State. The Cardinals have won four of their last five games. Both teams are vying for the top spot and will face off in Muncie, Indiana on Feb. 29.

CMU has a week off before facing Bowling Green in McGuirk Arena on Saturday to open a three-game homestand. 

With only seven games remaining on the schedule, the Chippewas will spend about half of their time on the road with four home games and three road games left to play.

Men’s basketball

CMU is now one game back of Northern Illinois (8-3) in the West Division. In the East Division, Bowling Green (9-2) holds a 1.5 game lead over Akron (7-3). 

Both divisions have a log jam near the top, with fourth-place Buffalo only three games back in the East. The West Division has fewer teams involved but third place Ball State sits only 1.5 games back of the Huskies.

The Falcons and Chippewas battled it out last week, with the Chippewas coming out on top on Feb. 4 in McGuirk Arena. 

Bowling Green rebounded with a two-point win over Toledo. Akron and Ball State are next up on the schedule for Bowling Green. 

The Chippewas are set to face Akron on Friday following a game against Eastern Michigan on Tuesday, both in McGuirk Arena.

NIU is on a six-game winning streak and has two away games this week, the first against Ball State on Tuesday and the other at Miami (Ohio) on Saturday.

CMU's final nine games are almost even with five away games and four home games to cap off the regular season. 

WOMEN'S STANDINGS

West Division

Central Michigan: 11-0, 18-4

Ball State: 7-3, 15-7

Toledo: 6-4, 11-10

Eastern Michigan: 6-5, 11-11

Western Michigan: 4-6, 11-10

Northern Illinois: 3-7, 7-14

East Division

Ohio: 8-3, 15-7

Kent State: 5-5, 12-9

Buffalo: 4-6, 13-8

Miami (Ohio): 4-7, 11-12

Akron: 3-7, 10-11

Bowling Green: 1-9, 8-14

MEN'S STANDINGS

West Division

Northern Illinois: 8-3, 15-9

Central Michigan: 6-3, 13-9

Ball State: 6-4, 13-10

Western Michigan: 4-6, 11-12

Toledo: 3-8, 11-13

Eastern Michigan: 2-8, 12-11

East Division

Bowling Green: 9-2, 18-6

Akron: 7-3, 17-6

Kent State: 6-5, 16-8

Buffalo: 6-5, 15-9

Ohio: 3-7, 11-12

Miami (Ohio): 2-8, 9-14