Suspended QB David Moore's appeal case assigned, no timetable for NCAA decision

Central Michigan quarterback David Moore listens for the play call during a practice Oct. 29 at Bennett Track Field.

Central Michigan senior quarterback David Moore's appeal case has been assigned, however, there is still no timetable for the decision according to coach Jim McElwain. 

"The case has been assigned," McElwain said. "There is no definitive day on when exactly they will go through the appeal process."

McElwain added that Moore will participate in all spring practices, which begin Saturday. 

Athletic director Michael Alford said he is unaware of when the NCAA will make a choice on Moore's future.

"I have no clue on when that's going to come," Alford said. "It could come tomorrow or the day before the first game. We go through their process and wait and see."

Moore is currently serving a year-long suspension for testing positive for a banned substance. Should the appeal fail, the suspension will hold Moore out until Oct. 8.

The quarterback was suspended on Oct. 8, 2019, due to testing positive for a banned substance. Central Michigan began the appeal process soon after the ruling. 

"The university partners with the NCAA to ensure its student-athletes play by the rules and exhibit the highest level of conduct," Alford said that day in a statement regarding the suspension. "Based on the university's review of the available evidence, the university has decided to appeal this ruling."

Before being suspended, Moore was 2-2 in four starts for the Chippewas. He completed 94 of his 164 passes for 1,143 yards, five touchdowns and four interceptions. 

If Moore's appeal is denied, McElwain will be forced to turn to either George Pearson, John Keller, Tyler Shearer, Daniel Richardson or Tyler Pape to start at quarterback. Pearson, Keller and Shearer are each sophomores while Richardson and Pape are freshmen.