Wrestling takes down Michigan State on Senior Night

Logan Parks stares down his opponent during Central Michigan's wrestling meet Jan. 3 in McGuirk Arena.

Logan Parks' dual career in McGuirk Arena came to a close on Friday. 

Parks, the only senior on the team, defeated Michigan State 21-15 to round out the dual season 8-4. 

In Parks’ final match in McGuirk, he went up against Jake Tucker, who is ranked No. 25 in the 157-pound weight class. Parks, ranked No. 16, had never beaten Tucker before. 

The first period ended with both Parks and Tucker scoreless. An escape in the second period gave Tucker the lead 1-0 going into the third period. However, Parks changed the score fast in the third period, Tucker 4-1. 

To close off the match, Parks ended the third with a 4-2 victory, capping the regular season with an 18-10 record. 

Coach Tom Borelli reflected on how much Parks has grown since his freshman year. 

“He’s just been steady," Borrelli said. "You appreciate that as a coach to see a kid a kid fight through adversity and then become the leader of the team." 

Redshirt junior Landon Pelham, who won 3-1 against Nick May in the 197-pound weight class, noted how the win over MSU meant a lot, especially with Parks’ senior night. 

“He’s a quiet kid but he really leads by example," Pelham said. "Everybody really loves him and we wanted to do that (win) for him."

Borelli added how the win over the Spartans showed how CMU is constantly improving, especially with the MAC Tournament coming up. 

“When you’re confident in yourself you can keep pushing and it’s easier than when you’re not confident,” Borelli said.

Pelham added what the team’s plan is going into the MAC Tournament —

Refresh, prepare, execute. 

“We’re going to get everyone's bodies fresh and have a lot short, intense practices," Pelham said. "Just keeping fresh, staying crisp, and getting ready to make some noise." 

Here are the results from Central Michigan’s win over Michigan State. 

125 - Junior Drew Hildebrandt started off the meet with a third-period fall over MSU’s Logan Griffin. Hildebrandt, who is ranked No. 8 in the weight class, pinned Griffin at 5:30. 

133 - Redshirt sophomore Drew Marten gave up a takedown, but came back in the third period and defeated Garett People, 7-2. 

141 - Redshirt junior Dresden Simon, ranked No. 12 in the weight class, defeated Matt Santos with an 8-2 decision in the third period. Simon led Santos in every period. 

149 - Redshirt freshman Corbyn Munson led Alex Hrisopoulos were tied 4-4 going into the third period. However, Hrisopoulos took the lead 6-5 going into the third. Borelli challenged the match for back points at the last second, but it was unsuccessful. 

157 - Parks earned a 4-2 victory over Tucker on his senior night. 

165 - Redshirt freshman Tracy Hubbard trailed Drew Hughes 0-1 after two periods. However, Hubbard tied it 2-2 going into overtime after a takedown and ride out. In overtime, Hubbard gave up a sudden-victory takedown and fell 4-2 to Hughes. 

174 - Redshirt sophomore Jake Lowell trailed 4-1 after the first period against Layne Malczewski, who is ranked No. 24 in the weight class. Lowell struggled in the second period, trailing 8-1. Lowell gained three points in the third period, making it 8-4. Malczewski pulled out a 9-4 decision over Lowell. 

184 - Redshirt freshman Ben Cushman fell to No. 9 Cameron Caffey in the first period. 

197 - Redshirt junior Landon Pelham stayed scoreless after the first period against Nick May. At the end of the second period, May led 1-0. Pelham tied the score up 1-1 in the third, sending it to overtime. Pelham earned a sudden victory takedown to clinch a 3-1 win. 

285 - Redshirt junior Matt Stencel, who is ranked No. 4 in the weight class, was down 1-0 at the end of the first period to Christian Rebottaro. However, as soon the second period began, Stencel made the score 2-1 with a takedown. Stencel won the match 3-1 to cap off the meet. 

Next up, the Chippewas will head to the MAC Championships, which are scheduled for March 7-8 at Northern Illinois.