College of Health Professions showcases new $26 million facility

The Center for Integrated Health Studies

Faculty of the Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow College of Health Professions opened the new Center for Integrated Health Studies for its first media tour Friday, Jan. 31.

The $26 million project was mostly funded by a $19.5 million allocation from the Michigan legislature, and the rest was financed by CMU. Since construction began in 2018, the unfinished building has loomed beside the old facility, piquing the interest of CMU students and faculty.

The facility adds 50,000 square feet of space to the College of Health Professions.

"The university realizes that health care is a huge part of our future," said Tom Masterson, dean of the College of Health Professions. "This building is now what I like to call a health complex. We have the College of Medicine and the College of Health Professions, and if you want to go into one of those professions in this state, this is where you want to be."

The result of the five-year approval and building process is a polished, expansive facility. Natural light pours through the many windows onto studying medical students and a collection of high-tech resources.

One of the new high-tech mannequins used to simulate medical symptoms for the students of the Herbert H. Dow and Grace A. Dow College of Health Professions. Each mannequin costs thousands of dollars according to CHP faculty.

Masterson said that the building was designed with student collaboration in mind. Each classroom is fitted with tables for group labs, and collaborative study rooms are sprinkled throughout the facility.

A new interpersonal study program began with the opening of the building. In many simulations, students play the role of a patient while their peer practices medical techniques. Masterson and other faculty pioneered this program to help get students closer to simulating a real-world medical emergency.

The enhanced physical therapy labs include a simulcast virtual classroom, so medical students across Michigan can participate through a video call. 

A group from Houghton watched their professor through the television screen in room 1033, answering questions and participating in class discussions.

"It's nice to finally have our own space," said Marquette graduate student Allisa Noreack. "The labs are much nicer than the old ones. They're bigger, more spacious. I feel like we'll be able to excel here."

Marquette graduate student, Alissa Noreack practices stitching a wound in one of the new classrooms at the Center for Integrated Health Studies.

Included in the cost of the Center for Integrated Health Studies are multiple high-tech clinical mannequins and eight patient exam rooms. The mannequins can simulate speech, breathing, blinking as well as symptoms for simulations and role-playing medical scenarios. The exam rooms can be redecorated to simulate a hospital room or an average home.

"In today's world, health care professionals need to be trained in real-life environments," Masterson said. "That includes learning and working alongside colleagues with different clinical training and using high-definition mannequins and students role-playing as patients. These experiences help train our students to better respond clinically in real-world situations, which ultimately will improve patient outcomes."

Classes in the new facility began with the Spring 2020 semester.