Jennifer DeHaemers to be CMU's first VP of student recruitment, retention

jennifer-dehaemers-1

Jennifer DeHaemers speaks to Central Michigan University students, faculty and staff at the final candidate forum for CMU's first vice president of student recruitment and retention on Feb. 5 in the Charles V. Park Library Baber Room.

Jennifer DeHaemers has been named Central Michigan University's first vice president of student recruitment and retention by President Bob Davies. Her first day will be June 1.

DeHaemers' starting salary is $220,000, according to University Communications.

During a candidate forum Feb. 5, DeHaemers stressed the university's need to appeal to nontraditional students and build resiliency among students.

"What can we do as an institution to try and help to give students the opportunity to build resiliency and understand that getting a 'B' on a test isn't the end of the world – even a 'C' is not the end of the world, a 'D' isn't the end of the world?" DeHaemers asked during the forum. "You can recover from these things and there are many students and many alumni across the globe who can attest to surviving those types of things."

She has held positions in enrollment and recruitment at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale and the University of Missouri - Kansas City.

According to a CMU press release, DeHaemers will oversee the major aspects of student recruitment and retention in her role at CMU.