Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity temporarily suspended, under investigation by CMU

Fraternity facing allegations of hazing, alcohol violations

tke-1

The Tau Kappa Epsilon house sits at 906 S. Main St. on Feb. 28, 2020.

Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity is temporarily suspended from Central Michigan University and under investigation by the Office of Student Conduct.

The Delta Omicron colony of the national organization received a letter from university officials Feb. 21 announcing the fraternity's temporary suspension. 

TKE is accused of hazing and alcohol violations. Damon Brown, director of student activities and involvement, said the university is investigating potential violations of the CMU Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities. Brown was unable to comment on how many complaints the fraternity is facing.

The fraternity will remain suspended until the Office of Student Conduct concludes its investigation. Because TKE cannot function as a registered student organization, it cannot participate in on-campus events, including Greek Week, a week-long philanthropic fundraising event that begins March 20.

The Delta Omicron colony of TKE has 52 members at CMU, according to the national fraternity's website. The organization is currently in the colonization process at Central, meaning it has not yet been officially recognized and chartered by the national fraternity. 

There are currently 11 fraternities and sororities listed on the university's official website of unrecognized organizations. TKE has not yet been added to the list.  

The most recent fraternity to be placed on temporary suspension, Sigma Chi, is still under investigation for hazing complaints brought forward in November.