Davies: Spring commencement rescheduled for Aug. 15

dsc-0422

Class of 2017 gathers for commencement on Dec. 16 in McGuirk Arena. 

Central Michigan University's spring commencement has been rescheduled for Aug. 15. 

President Bob Davies sent an email to the graduating class announcing the change after the May ceremony was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

Ari Harris, Assistant Director of University Communications, said in an email the plan is to still host the ceremony in McGuirk Arena while working around other events such as Leadership Safari, IMPACT, the new student convocation and Campus Life 101. Harris added there will be a live stream of the event for graduates unable to attend. 

Typically, students who graduate in August participate in the December ceremony. However, students finishing their degrees over the summer may attend the rescheduled spring ceremony or elect to attend the December event. 

The email included a link to an online form to students interested in attending the rescheduled ceremony. Davies added students' certificates will be sent 6-8 weeks after final grades are posted and the degree is awarded. 

Commencement Coordinator Kyle Pybus-Jerome said she is excited graduates will have an opportunity to celebrate their graduation. 

“We know students were disappointed when the May commencement ceremonies had to be postponed, and we’re excited to have an option for graduates to return to campus to celebrate their achievements in August," Pybus-Jerome said. "I am hopeful that many will be able to join us back on campus with their family and friends.” 

Students must fill out the online form if they plan on attending. 

Follow Central Michigan Life for further updates on this story.