Senior forward Romelo Burrell enters transfer portal

Central Michigan forward Romelo Burrell has entered the NCAA transfer portal. 

Burrell, a Chicago, Illinois native, announced his decision to enter the portal in a tweet on Wednesday after two seasons with the Chippewas. 

"I am thankful for being given the opportunity to play for Central Michigan these past two years," Burrell wrote in the tweet. "I am grateful for all the relationships I have built within the years. However, I feel it is in my best interest to reopen my recruitment and enter the Transfer Portal. I would like to say thank you to all of my coaches and teammates who have helped me come this far."

Burrell averaged 2.7 points per game in his two seasons with the Chippewas. He became a key bench contributor for the Chippewas in the frontcourt. This past season, Burrell averaged 3 points and 3.4 rebounds in 13 minutes per game. For his career at CMU, he shot 39 percent from the field and 21 percent from beyond the arc. 

“He’s a guy who got forced into action last year, maybe even earlier than he was ready to,” Coach Keno Davis said of Burrell before the start of the 2019-20 season. "Always had great energy, great effort, and a great attitude. Very pleased with Romelo.”

Burrell came to Central Michigan from John A. Logan College and coach Kyle Smithpeters. In his one season with the Volunteers, Burrell averaged 10 points and seven boards. He shot 61m percent from the field and helped lead his team to a top-25 NJCAA ranking. 

He will have one season of eligibility remaining but it is unclear if he will be able to play right away or if he will have to sit out next season. 

With his departure, the Chippewas will remain light in the frontcourt. Currently, Central Michigan has only senior Kevin Hamlet, juniors Ralph Bissainthe and Demarcus Demonia and redshirt freshman Caleb Hodgson on roster at the forward position.