Early move-out postponed following 'Stay Home, Stay Safe' extension

sydnie-move-out-3

Sault Ste. Marie sophomore Sydnie Dumas returns to campus to collect personal belongings before returning home March 15 at Sweeney Hall.

Central Michigan University is providing partial refunds to students who were living in on-campus housing before the coronavirus outbreak spread to Michigan.

Interim Vice President of Enrollment and Student Services Tony Voisin announced April 10 that students who were living in on-campus housing will receive partial refunds.

For those who are eligible, the email included credit amounts based on where the student lives:

Residence Hall — $1,200 per student
Graduate Student Housing — $650 per student
Northwest Apartments — $450 per student
Kewadin Apartments — $700 per student

Students who are still living on campus from March 22 to May 9, as well as students who received a full room-and-board scholarship, are not eligible to receive the credit according to Voisin's email.

Students, faculty and staff with commuter meal plans will be credited based on remaining meal swipes. Students, faculty and staff who purchased flex dollars will have their balances roll forward to the new academic year. May graduates with unused flex dollars should email the Central Card Office at centralcard@cmich.edu for credit options. Students with full-ride scholarships may not be eligible for credit. 

The university postponed all early move-out dates in coordination with Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s extension of her stay-at-home order. Early move-out was originally scheduled to take place April 13-20.

Students will receive an email on April 14 with a link to sign up for a new move-out appointment with a revised move-out window, according to an email from Kathleen Gardner, director of Residence Life.

All individuals are encouraged to wear masks, per CDC advisement, during the move-out process.

Gov. Whitmer extended the 'Stay Home, Stay Safe' executive order through the end of April as the coronavirus continues hospitalizing thousands of Michigan residents.

This week, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Michigan exceeded 20,000.

“This doesn’t mean everything will go back to normal on May 1,” Gov. Whitmer said in the April 9 press release. “Based on the data we have right now, this is the appropriate window for an extension. It will take time to safely and responsibly re-open the economy, which is why we will continue to provide critical unemployment support and assistance to our small businesses during this challenging time. We will get through this if we all continue to do our part.” 

Additional questions can be directed to the Office of Residence Life at (989) 774–3111 or students' respective residence hall directors.

Visit the university's coronavirus information page for more updates, safety tips and more.