Davies discusses plans for fall semester at final A-Senate meeting

screen-shot-2020-05-05-at-4-37-46-pm

The Academic Senate's finals week meeting did not have a formal president/provost report but instead answered questions from senators. 

This Tuesday, May 5 was the final meeting of Central Michigan University's Academic Senate. 

Before the President/Provost report, the senate eliminated the ban on prerequisites for general education classes. This means that classes in Groups I, II, and III in the University Program will have the option to require a prerequisite where previously they did not. This will prevent students from taking courses they are not ready for.

In his final President's report of the academic year, President Bob Davies commended the faculty and staff for their hard work during the coronavirus pandemic. 

“It is an understatement to say that this has been a difficult semester,” Davies said. “We never asked for this but we did not allow that to stop our hard work and our ambition.” 

Davies said his goal was to meet face to face in the Fall semester, but even if there are face-to-face classes the school will be conducted differently. 

“As we think about next year, whether online or face-to-face, it will be different,” he said. “That does not mean we lose focus on our core mission.”

Davies announced May 11 in an email that fall semester classes will be face-to-face. The Emergency Management Committee is currently working on the safest way to restore campus to face-to-face instruction. Plans are still in development and may change in the coming months.

“We wait for new information as we continue to work forward.” Executive Vice President and Provost Mary Schutten said. “The new normal for what life will be for us is yet undetermined as we watch the ebb and flow of the virus.”

The meeting was livestreamed on the A-Senate website. It is available for all students and faculty to view. Academic Senate will not meet again until Fall 2020.